Philips Avent SCF271/51 Microwave Steriliser

Philips Avent SCF271/51 Microwave Steriliser

Review of "Philips Avent SCF271/51 Microwave Steriliser"

published 22/04/2012 | wazza115
Member since : 31/03/2012
Happy Easter everyone, still catching up on my rates :)
Pro Compact and lightweight steriliser. Sterile for up to 24 hours.
Cons None
How long does it take?
Capacity

"Feeding time"

We have a static caravan at the seaside and during the summer months, we spend nearly every weekend there, we spent even more time there when I was on maternity leave.

When you have a baby, you have to take so many items out with you, even on short journeys so when Lauren was born; we decided to buy baby items that could be kept at the caravan constantly.

We used Avent bottles for feeding and had an electric steriliser at home, but I couldn’t justify spending another £40 on a steriliser so opted for the microwave version.

*Price and Availability:*

The RRP is around £25 but I paid £10 from Boots. I would advise shopping around for these as quite often it is an item which is reduced; it also always seems to be on included in Asda’s & Tesco’s baby events.

Its worth noting, if you have an advantage card for Boots and sign up for to their Mother & Baby Club, you will get 10 points for every pound you spend on baby products.

*What’s included:*

In the box you get the steriliser, a pair of tongs, a small measuring jug, a 125ml bottle with slow flow teat and the instructions.

*How to use:*

Remove the inner tray and pour 200ml of water into the bottom (using the measuring jug), replace the tray, adding the teats, then the rings and lids and then place the bottles around the outside.

Place the lid on the top and click in place (it has a little latch on the side and makes a clicking noise when closed correctly).

Then simply place in the microwave and heat for 4 minutes (this is for a standard 750 watt microwave – the time does depend upon what wattage your microwave is so check the instructions but I do remember that the longest you heat it for is 6 minutes). You should let the product cool down for 2 minutes before you try and remove from the microwave and always pick it up via the base as it can get quite warm,

*The Product:*

The steriliser measures around 28cm in diameter, our microwave was quite compact yet this fitted in quite nicely.

Once used, the bottles stay sterile for 24 hours if the lids is kept on, once the lid is removed, they stay sterile for four hours.

*My Thoughts:*

I am really impressed with this steriliser, it was reliable, easy to use and easy to clean.

I used to store it in the microwave to it wasn’t left out on the worktop looking untidy all the time.

Although I never had need to, you can also put your breast pumps, dummies, etc inside and sterilise these.

My personal opinion is that using steam sterilisers is the best as you are not putting any kind of chemicals near you baby.

The only downside of the product is that the product advertises it will hold 6 bottles, however this is only the smaller sized ones (125ml and 260ml bottles), you can only fit 3 of the 330ml bottles in. Lauren never drunk a full 260ml bottle so it didn’t cause me any problems but I know of some people it did cause issues for. Having said that, the bottles needed sterilising again after 4 hours so the chances are, you would have to use the steriliser twice daily anyway.

I would recommend this product, it is compact, lightweight and from a brand you can trust. It did what it should.

Again, I would say if you are looking to buy, always do a bit of research online before as this seem to be a product that is always ½ price somewhere.

5 out of 5 from me!

Review may be on other sites under the same user name.

Thanks for reading.