Philips BDP9100

Philips BDP9100

With DivX Playback - DVD-RW Player - DVD-R Player - DVD+R Player - with DVD+RW Playback

Review of "Philips BDP9100"

published 23/01/2012 | dobbysmum
Member since : 22/09/2011
Please do not thank me personally for the Es; if I have given you an E then I have most certainly enjoyed your review x
Pro good quality pictures
Cons on the large size
Picture Playback
Sound Level
Ease of Use
Range of Features

"Thanks Philips"

My husband is very into his gadgets and electronics. He always has to have the latest thing, however I stopped him buying a blu ray player as it seemed unnecessary as we already had a very good DVD player. However, we have upgraded the television lately and thought it was time that we moved on and embraced this new technology. My daughter has a blu ray player and when we babysat the children we loved picking a film from their extensive blu ray collection and watching it in superb quality. When I gave my hubby the green light to go ahead and buy one, he was very giddy. My concern though was the price. I did not want a very expensive one, but I wanted a good one. I could not believe the price difference in some of the models; they range in price from about 60 pounds to 400 pounds! We decided that we did not want to spend more than 200 pounds on a blu ray player so went shopping to the electronic stores around the area. We could not decide on what we wanted but we got a good idea about what sort of specification we should expect of a player in our price range. On a shopping trip to Marks and Spencer’s my husband and I went to the cafe for a coffee and passed though the stores electronic department. I have never thought of Marks and sparks when I needed new equipment such as this as because I thought that it would be too expensive. This blu ray machine caught my eye though because it had nearly 100 pounds off the price! After seeing it in action in the store and discussing it to great lengths we bought it and we are very pleased with the purchase.

==THE PRICE==

The machine cost us £125 pounds and it comes with a Marks and Spencer’s two year guarantee.

==THE DESCRIPTION==

The machine measures 435 x 58 x 308 mm so it is not one of the smallest things around, it is also a bit heavier than some of the newer models on sale; it weighs 4.1KG. The machine is black and looks very modern and stylish. I think it looks very expensive as it has a small LCD display at the front. Next to this is the front loading disc tray. There is a USB port at the front and if you want to, you can watch downloaded film simply by sticking a USB stick into the port. This is good news as my husband has downloaded a couple of films from the web and now we can watch them through the blu ray player on the television. It is useful to the have this port in such a prominent place so that all you need to do is insert it at the front, rather than have to mve the blu ray player off the stand to get to the back of the device where they usually house such components. At the back of the player are a number of connections: HDMI output, Component Video output, Digital coaxial out, Composite video (CVBS) output, Analogue audio 7.1 channel out, Analogue audio Left/Right out, Ethernet, Digital optical out. A bonus is that all the leads and cables that you will need to use the machine, are located in the box. There is a HDMI cable which ensures that you get the best possible picture and an audio/video cable. You can connect this to an AV receiver to create a cinematic surround-sound experience. It uses Dolby Digital plus and I receive my audio through the HDMI cable and it is fantastic. The Ethernet port means that you can download content from the internet onto the device; however you need to have a USB stick into do this. We have yet to explore the BD LIVE material but the sales representation led us to believe we could download extended trailers, films and deleted materials.

==REMOTE==

The blu ray player comes complete with a very easy to use remote control. For once, this comes with batteries. It takes 2 x AAA batteries and these click in the back. The box is stylish too and fits in with the classic design of the player. It is a shame though that it still gets lost behind the sofa!

==USING THE MACHINE==

To play Blu rays, the machine is really easy to set up. The menu is clear and simple and it does not involve too much button pushing. It takes less than a minute for a disc to load up and it is relatively silent unlike our old DVD player that sounded like a car reversing it was so noisy!

The remote is easy to use and you can pause and rewind easily, it has a quick fast forward and a very fast rewind which is good when we are trying to watch and film and keep going in the kitchen to get a glass of wine and miss bits.

You can use the machine to play DVDs and listen to your CDs on. The machine gives my DVD collection a new leave of life and shows them in excellent quality. It upscales them to full HD 1080P so old DVDs look refreshed bright. I was really impressed by this feature and love watching old classic DVDs on it.

When watching blu ray discs they blow me away with the beautiful colours. I love how crisp and bright the images are thanks to the deep HD quality. Motion is played at 24 frames per second which is exactly how the films are supposed to be shown and adds to the cinematic experience.

==MY RECOMMENDATION==

I would recommend this machine, it is of fantastic quality and I am really very impressed with it. It looks good and comes with a 2 year guarantee so that offers peace of mind. The quality of the films is superb and this goes for DVDs as well as Blu rays. I like the fact that I can download extra content from online and I am looking forward to seeing the deleted scenes from my favourite movies. A great Blu Ray machine from Philips!

• ciaomiaow published 24/01/2012
    Looks good!
  • GillyMN published 24/01/2012
    I think those remotes have in-built sofa magnets!
  • VampirePrincessLizzy published 23/01/2012