Philips EXP321

Philips EXP321

Single CD Player - with MP3 Playback - Shock-Proof, not Shock-Proof - without Built-In Radio

Review of "Philips EXP321"

published 06/01/2008 | scream4bruce
Member since : 18/08/2006
Satisfactory
Pro Loud enough
Cons A bit slow, cheap earphones
Sound Quality
Ease of Use
Look & Design
Instructions
Range of Features

"Does The Job EXPected Of It"

I've had this for a couple of years, I originally bought it because it was able to play mp3s from CDR and CDRW. Although I do have a dedicated mp3 player, I would rather listen to my CDs on this.

I did find the mp3 navigation to be slow, and this wasn't helped by the limited display.

Sometimes it takes a while to get started when it comes to CD playback as well, and it has the cheek to show 'OOPS' in the display when this happens. I've also had instances when, on playing an album again, a couple of seconds into the opener and the album jumps to the next track.

Usually I find that at around volume 2 (highest - 10) the loudness is sufficient. In terms of settings there are two levels of bass boost but I am able to pick out the low end without these. The supplied earphones are without volume controls, and are not particularly comfortable. Also the cord is fairly short in length but did last me a couple of years.

I'm under the impression the Magic Electronic Skip Protection does not seem to be effective, turning it on and tilting the CD players side to side I find the music skips a bit. On car journeys when I do my utmost to keep it steady (ESP off) the music still skips a bit.

The battery life is said to be 20 hours, but you would do well to get 10 hours from 2 AAs.

Fairly bulky and not exactly pretty with some minor annoyances, manages to get the job done but not recommended for listening to on the move.

• just.bcoz published 06/01/2008
    Great review, doesn't sound like too good a cd player