Philips HD4644

Philips HD4644

Kettle - Plastic - Cordless - with Anticalc Filter - with Automatic Shut Off - Max Capacity:1.7 - Max Wattage:3000

Review of "Philips HD4644"

published 20/12/2009 | SusanLesley
Member since : 21/10/2000
Pro Looks good, works well, not expensive
Cons None for us
Performance
User's Manual
Cleaning & Maintenance

"We've got a new kettle!"

Just when I thought I had just about finished all the pre Christmas expenditure our kettle decided enough was enough and it committed suicide! So today we went in search of a replacement.

We started in Curry’s and then on to Comet to take a look at what kettles there were on the market – then we moved on to Argos to make our purchase.

The one that we chose was the Philips Energy Efficient Kettle HD4644 in white and it cost £24.49. I appreciate that we may well have got this cheaper on the internet but we needed a new kettle straight away so it was a case of needs must!

It comes in a smart, sturdy box – ideal for easy wrapping if you are buying it as a present – with a picture of the kettle on the back and the front.

On one side of the box there are various pictures showing the different attributes of the kettle and the other side there are some tips on the energy efficient use of the kettle.

Packed inside the box is the kettle, the base unit complete with flex and plug, a guarantee and a sheet of instructions.

I unpacked it all and first put the base unit on my kitchen worktop. This is circular with a central ‘stump’ for want of a better word! The flex can be wound round the underside of the base so you just need to have enough flex showing to reach from the base to the socket – so there is less likelihood of the flex being accidentally caught and the kettle pulled off the surface.

The kettle itself looks very smart in white with a dark grey base, handle and lid. It can either be filled via the spout, which has a removable lime scale filter, or via the lid which just pulls open and the first thing that I had to do was to rinse out the kettle, fill it, boil it and then rinse it again. It was then ready to use.

In order to boil the kettle I just had to place it on the base unit so that the hole in the bottom of the kettle fitted over the ‘stump’ in the centre of the base and then depress the on / off switch.

There is a water level indicator on either side of the kettle so that it can be used just as easily by right or left handed people. The indicator is calibrated from one to seven cups and also has a one litre and 1.7 litre reading.

This kettle can safely boil just one cup of water so you just boil the amount that you need thereby saving energy. The kettle also has a safety cut out which means that, if there is not enough water in the kettle, it will not remain switched on.

The hints on the side of the box tell us that it is cheaper to boil a kettle of water and use it to do the washing up rather than using water from your hot tap heated by your hot water system. For the same reason it is also better to use cold water when filling the kettle rather than filling it from the hot tap. We are also told that boiling water in the kettle is more efficient than boiling it on the stove.

The instruction leaflet gives a list of all the usual warnings about not using the kettle if the flex is damaged, not opening the kettle whilst it is boiling, not having the flex trailing where a child could pull it etc.. It also gives information on cleaning and descaling the kettle and disposing of it once its life is finished. It is all pretty much common sense really but a useful ‘aide memoire’ if there is something specific that you’re not sure of.

In conclusion I am very impressed with my new kettle. It looks really smart in my kitchen and it boils water very quickly - what more do you want from a kettle?

• livelylad published 25/12/2009
    I like the tips that they give you. Great Review.
  • paulpry118 published 22/12/2009
    I could do with a new kettle but I would need a silver or grey coloured one but this does sounds a very reasonable price
  • hillhead published 22/12/2009
    It sounds and looks good.