Philips HP 4696 Salon Geometricks 8 IN 1

Philips HP 4696 Salon Geometricks 8 IN 1

Review of "Philips HP 4696 Salon Geometricks 8 IN 1"

published 11/06/2001 | tyger
Member since : 03/01/2001
Pro Lots of Syling Options
Cons Storage Creativity Needed

"Getting Tricky With It"

A couple of days ago I was very, very bored with my hair. It was due for a cut but I really wasn't in the mood to make an appointment at my favourite local hairdresser. I can usually go for quite a while (months!) between cuts as my hair is quite wavy and hides the flaws of poor maintenance easily.

But on this occasion a vague sense of unease was increased by the need for my hair to look presentable at the weekend. What to do?

Buy a curling iron! A strange concept for a person with wavy hair but the more I thought of it the more I was convinced that this was the answer. Time to spend some Boots Advantage points! Cheaper than a visit to the salon and potentially longer lasting value.

Having never had a curling iron before, I was a bit lost when faced with the choices on offer at my large local Boots. Should I go for a simple curling iron? Or a crimper? Hot rollers? The options seemed endless and I thought about giving up and trying another day.

Then I saw the ideal product on the bottom shelf. It did ALL of the options and held them all in one compact purple box.

The Philips Geometricks '6 in 1' (HP 4696) has since provided me with more hair fun than I've had since I was a teenager at a sleep-over make up party. It straightens, crimps, and curls in a variety of ways. It does this because the product design allows the user to select different attachments to a neat, compact wand. The attachments are easy to change. Simply loosen a collar, pull off the current attachment (when it's cool!), put on the next selection, and re-tighten the collar. There are arrows printed on the collar as guides. The whole process is quite easy and the unit feels very secure when it's ready to use.

The curling units are a bright, smart looking chrome. There are three: one for big curls, one with a twisty bit of chrome around it for ringlets or corkscrews, and one for small curls. The small curl unit comes with a plastic brush to slip over it to make soft wavy curls. Each of these is topped with a plastic bit which keeps the end safe to touch while you're curling. The crimping unit changes to a straightener by flipping its inserts over (when cool, of course!). Instructions are provided on how to use each piece. A hold of 5-10 seconds is needed while your hair assumes one of its six potential new shapes.

On the down side the unit takes 5-10 minutes to heat up. I've found it's closer to 10. Which is not a problem if you remember to turn it on before doing makeup. If you don't remember it is a bit frustrating to wait. ('How poor are those who have not patience' as Voltaire said, but who wants to wait to look good?!) Another potential problem is with storage. I'm using the original box at the moment but will have to find an alternate way of keeping the attachments safe when not in use.

The Geometricks is priced at £21.75 at Boots and I think this is good value as you have so many different options with it. Or it's 2175 Boots Points if you're in the mood for a treat.

• Celia86 published 02/09/2001
    Good op, I bought the same products (with my advantage points 2 :)) but i find that the curling bit isn't that good, but the straighteners r good!
  • Zebra published 13/08/2001
    Well if l ever want a quick crimp l know where to come.Trevor
  • timmyotoole published 29/06/2001
    I guess this is a girly thing, but informative op all the same. Timmy.