Philips QC 5170

Philips QC 5170

Review of "Philips QC 5170"

published 01/11/2011 | monkeyhumanoid
Member since : 28/10/2011
Pro Light, easy to use, cuts your hair.
Cons Some bits not even (but easily sorted).
Ease of Use
Adjustable?

"Philips QC 5170 - Not just for baldies"

There is one certainty in this life and that is getting older and for some of us this means losing your hair.
When my dad started loosing his hair he grew it longer and swept it over the top of his head to discreetly hide his bald patch, as in the famous "Comb over" style favoured by Bobby Charlton, Donald Trump or the Emperor Constantine. However today this style is not quite the fashion and men have 3 main choices for different budgets:

1. £10000 gets you a Ryan Gigs style hair transplant
2. £25 gets you a pair of hair clippers for a Bruce Willis cut
3. £0 gets you the sod it haircut of Bill Bailey

Being from Yorkshire the cost advantages of number 3 seemed very attractive until Tesco ran a deal with their Clubcard exchange promotion and I manged to get these clippers just swapping £12.50 of vouchers.

I have owned these clippers for nearly a year and I'm pretty pleased with them.

The unit can be charge up in about an hour and battery will last for 3 or 4 cuts before it needs recharging. It comes with 2 different heads (10 different hair length settings), one head cuts 3 to 11mm and the other cuts 13 to 21mm. There is a simple push button to choose the desired length and this scale is the same as used in the barbers, so if you've ever asked for a "number 2 on the sides and 3 on top" you'll be perfectly at home. The length locks in and I have never had it jump out to a different length.

To cut your hair you just select your length, switch on and then pass through your hair, going "against the grain". The head of the clippers can be twisted round so that easily reaches all points. I would recommend doing this in front of a mirror and also having another mirror to check the back of your head.

On 99% of my head the cut will be perfect but in certain areas (this may just be my hair) the clippers will leave slightly longer patches, for me this is around my ears. For these areas I have to go down a length and then it clips them perfectly. So far nobody has commented what a mess I have made of my hair so it can't be too bad.

The clippers are light, if plasticy, and very comfortable to hold. The blades are self sharpening and don't need oiling.

I am sure that a barber would do a slightly neater job but at if Bruce Willis ever needs a hair cut in East Yorkshire I can save him a few quid.

If I had to pay full price for them I would do!

Product Information : Philips QC 5170

#180 degree pivoting head#Self-sharpening stainless steel blades#Precision trimmer## Adjusts to every curve - the contour following comb closely follows the contours of your head giving you a smooth and even cut Even in the spots you can't see#Lockable length setiings - (1-21 mm/grades 1-7) Adjustable translucent clipper combs provide 10 lockable length settings for a wide range of styles up to 21 mm in length. The safety lock secures the selected length setting#Superior cutting - Revelutionary self-sharpening stainless steel blades channel and cut hair for a precise and even trim#Easy grip for total control#Precision trimmer#Extra strong motor#Lubrication for life#8 hours Charging time for upto 60 minutes of cordless use#Rechargeable cord/cordless

EAN: 8710103281115, 8710103378402, 8710103290636, 8710103286189