Review of "Philips SHP 8900"

published 23/04/2012 | JL132
Member since : 23/12/2008
http://www.onesies-kopen.nl mijn eigen website onesies!
Pro comfortable, great price/quality ratio
Cons good sound quality but lacking with some genres
Sound Quality
Looks & Design

"Philips SHP 8900"

Philips SHP 8900

After my trusty Sennheiser in-ear earphones stopped working after a year of intensive use I needed more solid headphones. I decided to buy a headset. It's more hassle to wear headphones and they cannot easily be stored. But these traditional headphones are durable; they deliver better sound and are not so bad for your ears like earplugs.

The brand Philips is known to me as an excellent all-round brand. Philips is not specialized in headphones such as Sennheiser and Skullcandy but these you also pay for the brand. The Philips products compete primarily in terms of value tremendously with the other variants. A further feature of Philips products is that the design is only moderate, which is both an advantage and disadvantage, depending on what you prefer.

The headset is completely black with only small red letters indicating which side is the left and right. The cable is only at one side of the headphones, this was a condition of my purchase because I find a double cable clumsy to deal with. The cable is four meters long which for me is more than enough when sitting in the house.

The headset itself is made of hard plastic and metal. The metal ledges are retractable so that the headphones fit heads of all sizes. The plastic top of the headphones which rest on your head is lined with leather. The outside of the sections is shiny black, the rest is modest mat.

The leather ensures that you do not suffer from the headphones on your head. The cushions for your ears occasionally are a bit tight. I often listen to music for several hours and where in-ear phones can get uncomfortable, these headphones stay comfortable. They don’t slip off your head and they feel comfortable around my ears.

My opinion about the quality of the sound is still changing. Some types of music I find the sound really great but with other not so good. I always listen to MP3 files with reasonably high quality. The bass is not very impressive, although that’s not the most important thing for me. The bass goes quiet deep but not very loud so it stays on a pleasant level. For me it’s fine but for a dubstep or hardcore fan I don’t think these headphones are that great. The instruments are individually distinct and great to listen to, thus you get the feeling like going to a concert. The range is again disappointing, very high and low frequencies are not perfectly distinguishable. This enables that some songs have a few monotonous blur of sounds. Dance, Pop, Indie, Lounge, Post-Rock and Drum n Bass genres are more well emerge.

These headphones are not ideal, though for the price they are good enough. I think the headphones make a very beautiful appearance. The headset is quite comfortable around the ears and I can listen to music for hours. The sound is fine but the headphones lack in quality with some genres like hardcore. It is ultimately not the most advanced headphones but he has an excellent price / quality ratio. You get buy these for around 60 pounds. So for me four stars.