Review of "Philips SensoTouch 3D RQ1290"

published 20/09/2012 | Spottydog11
Member since : 07/09/2007
Reviews : 1977
Pro Great moving head, close shave
Cons None
Quality of shave

"My husband's shaver"

The Philips SensoTouch 3D is the electric shaver that my husband has been using for quite a few months now. It's quite a smart piece of kit and one he can get a really nice close shave with, I know, I kiss him and I can't stand stubble so I've asked him to list all the good points and bad points about it so I can write them down for you. Plus, we get ready together in the mornings so I always seem him use this. I also sometimes shave him myself, no its not as sexy as it sounds, there are no nice foams, creams etc, I just like to do it for him sometimes so I know how this shaver works

The shaver itself is quite nice and sleek looking and is unlike electric shavers of old that just came with a few blades on top of a head. This shaver has a round pivoting head that is actually attached to the base unit by a sort of bendy spring. Philips call this a GyroFlex 3D system. Its quite unique apparently and it follows every contour of the face to shave every hair in just a few strokes. This is said to minimise pressure and irritation on your skin. Its amazing to watch it actually as the flexible head really does hug the curves on my husbands face. He only applies minimal pressure onto his face. At first when he first got this shaver I was a bit skeptical as when he first held it against his stubble it didn't really seem to do anything but he just whizzed it around his face with circular movements and without too much noise and fuss his face came clean and was lovely and smooth. His face is never red raw after using this shaver either so I would definitely say that it cuts down on irritation.

The shaver head is quite unique in my opinion too in that it has three round shaver heads to it which Philips call UltraTrack Shaver Heads. The shaving head has 3 specialised tracks: slots for normal hair, channels for long or flat laying hair and holes for the shortest stubble on your face. Its quite interesting in that these three heads also move apart from each other as well so when you are moving it against your face these three heads will bend and flex and move around your face too. My husband says its quite comfortable and also a nice sensation on his face.

The shaver is quite nice to hold too. As its round you can grip it with your hand and get a nice solid grip on it. According to Philips it has a, "easy-grip shaver handle with an ergonomic grip with anti-slip coating, ensuring close control for an extra-precision shave.

The shaver does not have a chord which is great as it means my husband can shave whilst he is walking around the bedroom or do other things as he is getting ready and does not need to be tied to a plug socket outlet. The shaver comes with a charging cradle that it sits in when not in use which is a really handy place to store it. The charge will last for 60 minutes of chordless shaving and then just charges up in an hour which is quite handy.

It comes in a nice black nylon zipped pouch so this is ready handy when we travel as he can just zip it up in this and put it in our suitcase and it does not get damaged.

A really nice way for men to shave.

• sandemp published 21/09/2012
    Sorry but this really is just second hand opinion isn't it?
  • RICHADA published 20/09/2012
    I had one of these Philips shavers with floating heads, I cleaned the heads every day and they still kept jamming. The guaruntee specifically excludes the heads - after only 9 months I ended up junking the shaver and getting another make. In my experience a VERY costly mistake these Philips shavers. R.
  • mum2boys82 published 20/09/2012