Review of "Philips TRESemme Hairdryer 2100W"

published 11/06/2012 | ChemicalRomance
Member since : 01/08/2005
Hello lovely Ciao people I am officially back!
Pro Great for drying hair...
Cons Bit hard to get hold of...
Ease of Use
Size

"Dry my hair, please!"

My 4 year old dryer :)

My 4 year old dryer :)

I have very time to spend drying my hair, so normally leave it to dry overnight and deal with the curly mass in the morning but, since I’ve been dying my hair bright red it’s become a bit of an occupational hazard to leave it overnight which has resulted in many of my pillow cases turning a nice shade of red! So my good old hair dryer has had to come out, to save my poor bed linen from going a nice shade of pink after it’s been washed a few times – and well to save me money as well, bed linen isn’t exactly the cheapest of things unfortunately!

Tresemme

The makers of all things hair, shampoo and conditioner – the hairbrush I reviewed a few days ago, and many other products in between – hair dryers and straighteners, I’m sure I’ve also seen curlers in their repertoire of products. They aren’t a company that are shy to get their name out there when it comes to hair care products – which is justified when you see how well they fly out of the shops. Personally never been a fan of their shampoo’s and styling products, but their electric hair stylers are a total different story!

My Hair Dryer

Now this hair dryer is a bit better than basic, it’s not really fancy but it has various settings that make it worth the money really. You’ve got two settings for heat, which are quite easily distinguished in temperature, the first selection on the panel on the right is the off section, push the slot up one and you’ll get a low temperature. Which is somewhat like a nice warm breeze on holiday, just a bit stronger, and the next slot up which is the hottest you’ll get the temperature, is a bit hotter to be honest and have that too close to your scalp and you’ll be feeling it for a little while – I’ve done it too many times you’d have thought since I’ve had this hairdryer since 2008 that I would have learnt my lesson by now. Obviously not though, since I’ve melted a comb by holding it too close to the nozzle before now! There are also two power settings on the left hand side of the handle, situated next to the heat settings, they are low and high blower settings. The low, well it isn’t a lot of use, unless you’ve just been outside and got caught in a bit of rain and only have damp hair. The high setting, is fantastic – my hair is average thickness and just below my shoulders and takes about five to ten minutes to dry; it’s a powerful setting but it won’t blow your head off I promise, mines still on four years later, but it would take a lot to make me use the lower setting on just washed hair because it just wouldn’t be worth it, it would take half hour to dry and I don’t need much more prolonged exposure to high heat on my hair!

The combination of the high heat, and high power makes for the fastest blow drying – but that’s pretty obvious really. The lower heat and power are for if you’ve got caught in the rain, or just have damp hair from towel drying – it’s not powerful enough or hot enough to get anything more out of it unfortunately.

There is also a turbo boost, which takes the highest power and makes it higher, but the button for that is awkwardly placed if you want to hold it on while you dry and style at the same time; it’s ok if you’re happy just drying and then leaving it to do its thing. I find when I use it I have to hold the button on sideways and it does get a bit painful if you need to use it for a long time, it’ll work on either of the heat settings, but feels a little bit pointless on the lower one because it doesn’t really make it dry much faster; but it depends how thick your hair is and how long it is – with mine taking a while to dry with a normal conventional hair dryer, the boost helps, but if you have quite thin hair a boost on the low heat setting would probably get it over and done with quite quickly. Then there is also the cold setting, which is another button above the turbo boost – which is meant to freeze hair styles in place with a sharp blast of cold air. However, don’t use it straight after you’ve been using the heat section because it will be warm air, rather than a bit of cold. Even saying that it’s not freezing cold when you blast it onto a hairstyle admittedly, it does make a bit of a difference but it’s never going to be an alternative to hairspray. On my hair though it does help, because when I have my hair curly it’s notorious for falling out within an hour – but when I remember my hairdryer has this function I do use it and it helps to keep my curls in that little bit longer. Especially when teamed with an entire bottle of hairspray! So this hairdryer claims that it helps to protect hair from damage when you dry it with this EHD technology; which is meant to evenly distribute hot air to all parts of the hair so you are not damaging your hair. Now I don’t know quite if that’s all that true really, because surely a hair dryer is hot air directly on your hair and will make it damaged slightly regardless? I mean my hair gets split ended a lot naturally from over colouring and over straightening but, don’t think this hair dryer has made a massive amount of difference since I’ve been using it – though I’ve been using it more over the past few weeks, and my hairdresser did notice that my hair is in better quality. I just think that’s down to a better diet, so not sure if it makes any difference but if it helps you justify blow drying your hair every day then go for it!

With this hair dryer you also get the Ionic Breeze feature, which is a little button at the bottom of the dryer that you slide across and the blue light on the top will switch on to let you know you’ve turned it on. It’s meant to make it so that your hair less frizzy and static, and make it more shiny and manageable – it’s a bit of a con really I think, because it depends how good your shampoo and conditioner are. Or if you use a frizz taming serious you put in wet hair, so don’t let that rule your decision if you are considering what hair dryer to buy. Cleaning this hair dryer is quite easy actually, there is a panel on the back of the dryer that is silver that you can pull off for easy cleaning, it’s really simple thing to do, though if you only use it a couple of times a week it doesn’t really get that dirty or full of hair – I clean mine once a month or so just to make sure I don’t get any dirty or anything weird when I’m drying my hair. This hairdryer is pretty good in general really, it’s never going to be perfect because no one can ever make a hairdryer perfect for everyone’s hair. It’s got a loop on it which means you can hang up the dryer if you have it somewhere that you can store it; and the cable is 3m long – so you can drag it across the room if you’ve got plug sockets too far away from a mirror or where you wish to dry your hair. It works quite nicely for me across from my plug socket to my mirror – to I’ve never had a problem using it.

It’s an easy to use hairdryer with easily sliding function buttons, and with two buttons on the top and one on the bottom. The handle is comfortable, and it’s not too heavy, it’s black and silver – it’s quite a nice hairdryer really and even when I bought it 4 years ago it looked good, didn’t cost too much and well it’s lasted really well… I can’t praise this hair dryer enough for that. I’ve not had a better hair dryer and well I’ll not be buying a new one anytime soon, because I think this one has a good few years left in it yet – if you can get hold of one it’s well recommended, despite its downfalls, that are more random technology than anything else!

Price and Availability

This hairdryer is quite hard to get hold of now actually, it is available on a website called Morgan111Morgan for £22.99 I’ve not seen it in Boots or Superdrug recently – so I’m guessing it’s not widely available anymore. It will be on eBay though for varying prices, it might be hard to get hold off but it’s well worth a buy!

• supersonic75 published 16/06/2012