Review of "Pioneer BDP-LX70"

published 12/12/2007 | 03bintls
Member since : 12/04/2006
Pro Full HD playback, amazing film experience!
Cons Price
Picture Playback
Sound Level
Ease of Use
Ease of Installation
Remote Control

"One very amazing disc player!"

Ok first things first, this is one very expensive disc player! But don't let that put you off......

Despite the fact that there still isn't any form of winner between the two HD formats (HD-DVD and Blu-Ray) I decided I still wanted in on the hi-def game and decided to take the Blu-Ray route. I believe the selection of films is better, they are easier to buy in more shops etc, and deep down I hope the format will win! I guess everyone will just have to wait and see what happens though.

I had read good reviews about this player in many magazines etc, so knew it would be a good purchase. The model I bought is actually the BDP-LX70A. This 'A' version has had a few tweaks apparantly and also now supports the whole HD audio business etc. This gives you better quality surround sound and a much more thrilling movie experience. Taking advantage of this audio does require suitable AV amps and speakers etc. I haven't got all of this yet so unfortunately can't comment on what it is like. At the moment I have the player hooked up via 2 channel stereo and am thrilled but the audio produced....I can't wait to get the full set up going!

The player is connected to my tv via HDMI using a high end Chord cable. The picture that this player produces is truly amazing. I cannot express just how crisp and sharp the images are. If you have not yet experienced a film in full high-definition then you are missing out....skin details are incredible, the amount of depth in sceens is like nothing before. I'm getting excited just thinking about it!! So yes, you should get a blu-ray player, but why this one?

I demoed a number of blu-ray players before buying this one, and I could tell the difference. Movement in films was smoother on this Pioneer player and colours seemed a lot more realistic. If you are a film buff then you probably would appreciate the extra benefits. Of course you do need a suitable tv to show off the quality though!

This, in my opinion, is also a great looking player. The front plate has a gloss black finish and all the controls feel sturdy and high quality. All the on-screen menus are also logical and easy to use. There are many options to allow you to turn certain things on and off etc, very handy to get it performing how you want.

On the back of the player is an ethernet port. This allows you to connect it up to your home network and stream pictures, video and music from your PC. This is a feature I have had trouble with so far. While I can get it connected it does seem to have difficulty playing many of the videos. This may be because they have to be in a specific format? I certainally don't find it easy to set up, and am still fiddling to try and get it working properly.

There are plenty of connection options on the back - analogue audio for stereo and 5.1, optical digital, hdmi, component, s video. Unless your tv is really old you shouldn't have too much of a problem. Of course you should only be using this with an HD tv though :)

The machine does take a long time to turn on. From pressing the power button expect to wait about a minute before a disc starts playing. This can be irritating sometimes but you get used to it, and the end result is well worth the wait! Its also not one of these modern tiny players so make sure you have enough room and aren't expecting to hide it in a tiny cubby hole. But new technology and all, so I wasn't expecting anything else.

It can play CDs, old DVDs (re-recordable ones too) as well as Blu-Ray discs. The quality of old standard def DVDs is also great. Any dark scenes are much more detailed when I compare them on my old player. Very happy with the quality there too!

I would highly recommend this player. I appreciate that it is very expensive (I got it a couple of weeks ago for £999). But if you are a home cinema or film fan you will really thank yourself!

• dharma.roy published 13/12/2007
    Blu-Ray i think its the right choice, but i think this player is too expensive, I have PS3 which plays Blu Ray and so far its been running perfectly. It only cost me half as much as this player too
  • eddierog published 12/12/2007
    I have owned 3 different pioneer dvd players / recorders and a fan of the quality products they keep churning out. This player has some cracking specs and even looks stunning. However sub £1000 for what is essentially a blu-ray player is too high. The PS3 can be bought for £300 with a 40Gig Hd, plays blu-ray and is also a games console, so for now it's a no brainer.
  • tigerthecat published 12/12/2007
    Fantastic review, all well explained in easy to understand language. Plenty of detail as well.