Pioneer DEH-P5700

Pioneer DEH-P5700

Car Radio - Car Radio - Panel Release - Yes, with CD Player - with CD-Changer - with RDS - with MP3 Playback - 108 Watt, 200 Watt

Review of "Pioneer DEH-P5700"

published 28/09/2005 | gaz147
Member since : 27/09/2005
Good
Pro Attractive looks, solid build, imaging enchancement feature, price
Cons Sound quality too harsh, RDS performance
How is the Sound Quality?
Ease of Installation
How is the Look & Design?
Instructions
Range of Features

"A little sharp on the ears!"

Years ago I owned a Pioneer CD tuner which I really liked. Since then I have had several Sony units. I recently bought a Ford Focus and decided I would try Pioneer again and so bought one of these units.

One of the main reasons for choosing the Pioneer was for the sound quality I remembered from my old unit. I also wanted the sound imaging enhancement that the Pioneer's have, whereby the treble frequencies can be cut to the rear speakers, thus improving the stereo image in the front seat position, whilst still enjoying the bass from the rear speakers. I paid £120 for my unit, which I considered a good price for a unit which is MP3 compatible.

The advantage of having a MP3 compatible CD player is that you can create a CD on your PC with about ten album's worth of tracks, and then play it in your car. In effect you will have the music playing capacity of a ten disc multichanger, with the added benefit that you keep the originals at home safe and sound and there is no delay when changing albums.

The problem I have with the unit is that paired with my JBL component speakers, it is far too harsh sounding. I would therefore recommend that if you purchase this unit, pair it up with less sharp tweeters, unless you use it with the original car speakers, in which case things should be ok.

Another problem I had was that the bass response was very poor unless the mega bass feature was used. The problem with this is that the sound quality seems to deteriorate if the mega bass is switched on. The treble sounds less crisp - as though listening to an FM station with the dial slightly out. Although the my woofer components are not the largest (5 1/4 "), i would still expect more bass response.

Finally, while listening to the radio with the RDS feature enabled, I find that from time to time the signal appears to disappear, and the sound stops. This is very irritating and doesn't happen if RDS is off.

In terms of looks the unit is very smart and the silver styling and surround is very attractive. It is also available with either red or green illumination to match your vehicle.

Another quirky feature is that the rotational volume knob can be pressed in when not in use, making the face panel look very sleek.

The unit has the usual pre-outs for connecting amps etc, although I find the onboard power output to be adequate for most requirements.

Overall I would recommend the unit at the price, as long as it is paired with the right speakers.

• eldergill published 30/09/2005
    Welcome to Ciao. Good first review.
  • catrinaf published 29/09/2005