Pioneer GM-6300 F

Pioneer GM-6300 F

Amplifier - without MP3 Playback - 480 Watt

Review of "Pioneer GM-6300 F"

published 13/06/2012 | danielclark691
Member since : 27/02/2011
The game is over. Time to move onwards and upwards. Feel free to have a cursory glance at my reviews. The rates, comments and competition wins are appreciated, as are the friendships formed because of the site.
Pro Plain styling, easy installation, healthy power.
Cons Flimsy casing and poorly thought out connections to the unit.
How is the Sound Quality?
Ease of Installation
How is the Look & Design?
Instructions
Range of Features

"Pioneer GM 6300F"

I have been a big fan of aftermarket car audio equipment ever since I bought my first car, and have never looked back since. The standard manufacturers' equipment does a job, but I wanted something that would give me an experience and not just a sound. I listen to the radio in the car, but also CD's and mp3. As the sound going into my system is of a high quality, I wanted the speakers to be able to emit sound at a high grade also. In order to do this I install aftermarket speakers which are far superior to the standard units supplied in the majority of cars these days, and power them via the Pioneer GM 6300F Amplifier.

The GM 6300F is built into my boot install and as it is reasonably compact it can easily be hidden away if you so desire. The looks of this Pioneer amp are also a positive, with clean lines and simple branding, the colour and design wont look out of place however it is located. I chose Pioneer because I have owned a lot of car audio equipment from them in the past and I like their simple styling. Priced at around £120 it isn't the cheapest amp around, but it does offer the most precised output to my speakers that I have experienced so far.

This is a 4-channel amplifier, delivering a maximum output of 600watts. This means you have an option to either have two speakers running 2 x 300watts, or use 4-channels and have four speakers amplified to 150watts each. The signal to noise ratio is 95db. This isn't great compared to some units, but it does hold its own against similarly priced amplifiers and will be able to feed even the best speakers around, so power isn't an issue.

The weight of the amplifier is something that did surprise me. Although it is quite a compact unit I feel that nearly 4kg for such a small sized amp was rather a lot, though I ensure it is securely fixed down in my boot! As I highlighted earlier, though, looks are not fussy at all and Pioneer have kept things as plain as possible without being boring.

One concern I do have is that the casing of the amplifier is a little bit light and flimsy. I can imagine if you dropped it once or twice accidently it could indeed cause more than just a bit of cosmetic damage. I wouldn't say it looks cheap or tacky, but case construction could be better.

One thing I particularly like is that the set-up is so simple. The RCA connections are not the best, and could no way be described as robust. This is another area Pioneer have disappointed on, though I don't plan on adjusting the connections anytime soon, so I don't see this as a major problem to myself. Instructions are included for how to set the amplifier up to a set of speakers and aswell as connecting the unit to the speakers you must also run a set of wires to the head-unit obviously. Power is the final part of the jigsaw and as I already had a power cable running directly from the battery this wasn't an issue. The final point to note is that you must ensure the power element is amped, as failure to do this could be very expensive indeed.

The Pioneer GM 6300F does have its positive points, but there are also some things that I would have hoped Pioneer had perfected by now. All things considered I have to recommend this amplifier, though it isn't an absolute recommendation and with its flaws it won't last a lifetime.