Pioneer TS-Q131C

Car Speakers - Component System - Built-In - Round - Passive Speakers - 35 Watt - Diameter: 130

Review of "Pioneer TS-Q131C"

published 11/10/2015 | danielclark691
Member since : 27/02/2011
The game is over. Time to move onwards and upwards. Feel free to have a cursory glance at my reviews. The rates, comments and competition wins are appreciated, as are the friendships formed because of the site.
Satisfactory
Pro Wild colour, Kevlar cone will last.
Cons Poor overall sound quality, expensive.
How is the overall Sound Quality?
Bass Quality
Treble Quality
Midrange Quality
How is the Look & Design?

"Pioneer - as poor as a Megane"

First impressions

I am familiar with the Pioneer brand and my first set of car audio equipment all had the Pioneer branding on it. MY car stereo was a Pioneer unit until I sold the car, since then it has sat in my loft! I have had some memorable times listening to my Pioneer equipment, though this is probably due to what I did than the music I listened to.

Here we have the bright yellow Kevlar coned component speaker system from Pioneer. These 13cm speakers are designed to fit in the MK2 Megane, though they will fit any car which accepts the 13cm cone size. These are 2-way component speakers so they come complete with a pair of tweeters. The tweeters are designed for a different element of the aural experience, so the mini subwoofers can concentrate on the deep notes.

Overall I am happy with thelooks of these speakers. You might not like the shocking yellow colour of the cones but these are soon hidden away discreetly once fitted behind speaker cover panels in the door cards. The bright colour is simply to attract the consumer to the product - and funnily enough it makes the colour of the bright yellow Megane's you see driving around! Fortunately I don't drive a Megane and I never will do, I have a few friends that have owned them and I wouldn't advising buying French rubbish.

My experience

Although these Pioneer speakers stand out when in the box they do not do so when you fit them. The fitting is rather simple and you really do not require any electrical qualifications to carry out the work. It can be fiddly at times but as long as you have some soldering experience you should be fine. The tweeters are obviously a different matter if you are fitting these to a vehicle with no tweeters already fitted. This can be a time consuming job and I simply and carefully cut holes in my door cards in order to fit the tweeters. If you have no intention of using them then I would strongly advise against even buying this product because you will not get the most out of the system without the tweeters present.

Once you have fitted these speakers you will have noticed the quality of the materials. Original vehicle speakers these days usually come with paper cones on the speakers and they weigh less than a pound coin, so the quality is certain to improve ten-fold with the application of a pair of Kevlar coned speakers, isn't it? Well, apparently not. I have had nothing other than disappointment from these speakers and when I first bought them I had a positive impression of them until I fitted them.

Once you turn the system on you will notice a difference in quality, though it isn't noticeable enough in my opinion. I have owned component speaker systems in the past that have cost £3-400 and they are fantastic, though for £80-£100 brand new you would expect a lot of improvement.

The sound quality doesn't exactly lack range, it just lacks the depth and detail that you would expect to find with a high quality pair of speakers, especially from such a well-known brand. hen I have upgraded speaker systems in cars in the past I have found that you notice whole new levels to music that you would not find with a standard pair of speakers. The transformation is just not good enough.

I have spent more money on speakers like these in the past and had great experiences. It is a shame that Pioneer have let me down and since my first lot of Pioneer equipment I bought for my car I have moved away from the brand even though they do still have a lot of good quality head units for sale.

Price and availability

The Pioneer TS-Q131C Component speakers are available online for an eye watering £95. This is a huge price in my opinion, though if you are looking to buy second-hand you will find some real bargains at under £20 for a set. This just shows how many sets were fitted to cars and then discarded - take note!

Final thoughts

The sound quality just doesn't wow me and I would not recommend this product to anyone. They were designed as a direct replacement for the MK2 Megane and they MAY offer some improvement in that vehicle, though there is no reason they cannot perform equally as well in other models of vehicles that accept the 13cm speaker cone size.

Overall I would advise that you leave these well alone. The price is based on the fact that these are made with superior quality Kevlar cones which will stand up to a fair amount of abuse. I wonder if that abuse stretches to taking a heavy beating with a hammer?

• AnneLorraine1 published 22/10/2015
    vh
  • Nymphypig published 16/10/2015
    vh
  • jb0077 published 14/10/2015
    another VH review, well done.