Piriton Allergy Tablets

Piriton Allergy Tablets

Review of "Piriton Allergy Tablets"

published 27/03/2012 | daisyleex
Member since : 24/05/2011
Pro Does what it promises, affordable, tablets easy to swallow
Cons None
Side effects
Effectiveness

"Piriton Allergy Tablets"

I've suffered with hayfever since I was tiny and piriton has been a brand i've been using for absolute years. It's a brand that I know I can trust - it's effective, readily available and affordabley priced. Piriton is used to help with allergies such as nettle rash, insect bites, food alergies or alergies to medicine. It can also be used to treat more serious allergic reactions and helps calm down the effects of the allergy - eg swollen eyes, swollen tounge. This is because the medicine contains something called chlorphenamine maleate, which blocks the chemical that causes allergic reactions as well as the histamine receptors resulting in a less severe reaction to the allergy. The only ownside is that due to the ingredients, it causes drowsiness.

Piriton is widely available and can be purchased from chemists, boots, supermarkets (over the counter), and so on. It can also be puchased online via Amazon etc and you do not need a prescription to purchase it. Piriton is available in liquid form and in tablets. The liquid form is handy for little ones, and I opt for the tablets. The tablets come in either packs of 30 or 60, and I buy the packs of 60 as I like to be stocked up so that I don't suffer from my hayfever too much when the warmer weather kicks in. A pack of sixty tablets varies from £5-6, while a pack of 30 is around £3-£4. I buy my piriton from a local chemist - Lloyds pharmacy, and pay £6.19 which sounds expensive but the pack of 60 lasts for ages.

The tablets come in a rectangular box made of thin cardboard. The colour scheme is orange and yellow and there's the product name in clear, bold writing. The colour cheme defiently helps the product stand out from the shelf and it's easily recogniseable. The conditions that the product can treat are listed on the front of the packet. These include heat rash, food allergies, chicken pox and so on. The tablets come with a leaflet which has plenty of information including warnings, doseage, ingredients and so on. The tablets themselves are small and round and are very easy to swallow. Each tablet contains 4mg of chlorphenamine maleate and the tablets also contain lactose, maize starch, yellow iron oxide (E172), magnesium stearate and water.

You should not take piriton if you are taking drugs to treat anxiety or insomnia, have epilepsy, glaucoma, an enlarged prostate, an overactive thyroid, very high blood pressure, or heart, liver or lung disease. If you are pregnant or breast feeding you should consult your doctor before use - I spoke to my midwife who said it was fine to take piriton while breastfeeding. Doseage wise, adults, children over twelve and the elderly can take one tablet every 4 to 6 hours and shouldn't exceed 6 tablets in 24 hours. Children aged between six and twelve should take half a tablet every 4 to 6 hours. Do not give the child more than 6 half tablets in 24 hours.

As I said above, I take these for my hayfever which makes my throat, and eyes swell up. It also makes my throat hurt, eyes itch/run and occasionally my lips swell slightly. My hayfever usually starts around April time but as the weather has been hot lately it's been starting to get quite bad. My hayfever is usually bad when I wake up so I have been taking one tablet before bed which really helps. I don't wake up with a swollen, sore throat and my eyes aren't runny or sore/swollen. I take one with my breakfast and apart from a few sneezes and a bit of a sniffle, I am fine all day. These tablets work a treat and I can not fault them. I don't and never have suffered any nasty side effects and I would certianly reccomend Piriton.

• xmum2fourx published 27/03/2012