bigmatti 4

bigmatti

Member since:28.06.2003

Pizza Hut not in need of a kick in the butt

22.07.2003

Advantages:
Cheaper than I expected, tasty pizzas, friendly staff

Disadvantages:
Busy at peak times

Standard of Menu

1. vixsta14
  2. happy_kitty
  3. Katieshaz
  1. Groovee

Well, it was fast approaching tea time on Friday the 18th of July 2003 and I’d promised my girlfriend dinner out at the pushiest restaurant I can afford…..Pizza Hut!

They have recently opened a new establishment just outside the centre of Halifax, along with a JJB Sports Shop and Gym, A Next and a Curry’s. I was tempted by the new restaurant as I drove past a couple of night earlier so I decided Friday evening was the time to treat myself… and my other half.

We turned up on the door of Pizza hut at around 6.15pm and were greeted by a cheery young lad who seemed extremely happy to show us to a table for 2. It was catered for 4 but we’ll let that slide.

The place was heaving with little kids who were cluttering up the restaurant with their helium filled Pizza Hut balloons and their constant bickering about wanting more ice cream from the “Ice Cream Factory”. I’ll refer to this little gimmick later on.

The inside was very clean and tidy but fairly busy. Having said that it was about 6.15 on a Friday evening so I can't really moan can I?. The seating arrangement was fairly well laid out with plenty of room to manoeuvre around.

We had a flick though the menu and, although it wasn’t an especially extensive rage, found a couple of pizza’s that had taken our fancy. We noticed they seemed to be doing a few offers and we opted for the £14.99 deal. This seemed a bit of a bargain as it contained 2 starters of our choice, a Large Pizza, which is easily big enough for two, and 2 Ice Cream factories. Once again, I will comment on this later.

In the 10 minutes we were deciding about what to eat another happy little worker appeared and asked us if we were ready to order... 3 times, which works out to an average of 3 minutes 20 seconds between each visit. Is that the norm?

So, we ordered our 2 cokes for £1.50 each and sat there supping them and chatting about the days events while our starter was being prepared. May I also add that your £1.50 entitles you to as many coke refills as you desire, although you do need to be prepared to ask someone for a refill as they seem a little reluctant to offer you one. Having said that, they did offer us a top up once.

Anyway, our 2 starters arrived within about 10 minutes of ordering, which seem fairly rapid, and we eagerly tucked in. I was devouring Chicken Dippers with barbecue sauce and Kayleigh had the Mushroom in Breadcrumbs, which also came with a dip.

The starter was of average size, not huge but enough to allow your body to realise you had just fed it a little. The price of the starters wavered around the £3.50 mark which seemed reasonable to me.

Alas, the Pizza was on its way and arrived on our table about 10 minutes after we had finished our tasty starter. We had agreed on the Italian Style Cajun Chicken although it did come with certain peppers I was not overly keen on. The pizza was delivered by another happy chappy who, along with the pizza, brought two plates so that we could shovel the pizza on to our plates for consumption. The pizza, in my little blue eyes, was delicious but a little hot for me. Having said that, it did state it was hot so I really cannot complain. Kay also seemed to be enjoying her food, as the conversation died down a little for the main course.

Afterwards, the conversation started back up again with “I’m stuffed!”, “Do you want my last slice?” and “I don’t think I can eat any Ice Cream now, well, I’ll only have a little bit!”

So, with in 5 minutes of scoffing this Italian dish the waitress was clearing up and checking that everything was ok. Which it was!

Last but not least was the Ice Cream to finish off with. The Ice Cream Factory, as they call it, is a self serve idea whereby you collect a dish and help yourself to as much whipped ice cream as you can handle with as much sauce, chocolate buttons, hundreds and thousands etc as you can stomach. I hade a HUGE bowl full to get my money’s worth but as usual, my eyes are far too big for my already full stomach…so I left some!

Overall, we had a tasty and very filling meal for two for £20; we even left them a £2 tip, working on the idea that they get 10% of the cost of the meal.

The staff were very friendly and helpful and lacked the negative attitude most young waiters/waitress’ seem to have. They were all, at a guess, about 16 but worked very efficiently and there were no hold ups at all. I do not have a bad word to say about them. They deserved my £2 tip, just hope Pizza Hut didn’t pocket it in the tray on the table as we were leaving.

I recommend Pizza Hut to anyone who, for whatever reason, fancies a pizza out. They do serve other meals, like pasta and salad dishes but it’s mainly pizzas, hence the name. The price is reasonable and the atmosphere is friendly although the kids were a bit loud.

Hope this has been helpful.

Take care,

Matt

happy_kitty 13.09.2004 00:19

I should stop reading food reviews- they always make me hungry lol :)

flabbercabbage 07.09.2003 23:05

Expensive cheese on toast! Cheers, john.

Ophelia 05.08.2003 19:44