Play Bach - Jacques Loussier

Play Bach - Jacques Loussier

1 CD(s) - Piano - Label: Platinum - Distributor: Prism - Released: 15/04/2002 - 5014293673723

Review of "Play Bach - Jacques Loussier"

published 14/08/2000 | Outspoken1
Member since : 29/07/2000
Pro If you like Bach, the piano or jazz you'll like it
Cons Just the one tune that I don't care for
not rated

"Tickle those ivories Jacques!"

Many Jazz musicians train their fingers by playing Bach in various styles and at various speeds - I played Bach not only for the training but because I liked the harmonies, chord changes and arpeggios. Jacques Loussier has taken playing Bach to an art form. I like this album only and NOT volume 2.

The original Play Bach album contains most of bach's better known works such as His Toccata and Fugue, also the 1st and 2nd preludes and the 1st and 2nd fugues, hair on a G string (joke) and Jesu joy of man's desiring.

This really is a cracking album with the trio (including bass and drums) really jazzing up bach and playing some pieces with phenominal speed, cool showmanship and originality. It's a swinging, foot tapping, jazz party!

In my opinion there is only one song on this album that isn't brilliant and that is Jesu joy of man's desiring. I don't like it simply because I don't like the tune.

It is fortunate that the gavotte Jacques chooses to play live isn't included in this recording because I don't care for the way he misses out some of the more inricate chords which I think make that particular gavotte so pleasant to the ear - I assume those chords are possible to play on the piano, I know they're a bit of a stretch on the guitar.

not rated