Review of "Play Factore"

published 02/09/2017 | sellerleygirl
Member since : 15/02/2015
I just got in trouble for sticking a piece of paper with my name on the TV while watching a film!!!!!
Satisfactory
Pro Adults can play to - but at a price!
Cons T O O E X P E N S I V E!!!
Prices
Is it worth visiting?
Transport links
Family Friendly

"Take out a mortgage for a day at the Play Factore!!"

Recreation Centre, Manchester

With a month or so before returning to Uni, my son and his girlfriend have a hectic month travelling planned, spending all their hard-earned money from over the summer.
As they will be away for my youngest granddaughter (and Jack’s goddaughter) Olivia’s 7th birthday, Jack and Emily decided to take her out for the day yesterday as her ‘birthday treat’ to the Trafford Centre and Play Factore; Livy’s Mum and I travelled along with them.
I could write several reviews after this trip but I am concentrating on the Paly Factore in this review.

What is the Play Factore?

Pronounced Play Factory, the Play Factore comes with the tagline “Making fun happen!” and they say:

“The Play Factore team are dedicated to delivering quality entertainment in a spectacular environment that guarantees fun for all the family"

Play Factore is a huge active indoor play centre close to the Trafford Centre, thatfamilies can play in together. They have the indoor slide in Europe, a full indoor laser tag arena, go-kart track and zip wire. It is a huge soft play with lots of slides etc and it also has the biggest toddler area in the UK
Where is it and how do I get there?

Play Factore is located in Trafford Quays Leisure Village and is based underneath the iconic Chill Factore building; it is less than four miles from Manchester city centre. Close to the Intu Trafford Centre, it is conveniently located just off the M60 motorway at junction 10.
There are 300 free car parking spaces available including dedicated disabled parking bays.

Sat Nav address information:
Play Factore,
Trafford Way,
Trafford Quays Leisure Village,
Manchester
M17 8DD.

The nearest bus stop is at the Debenhams entrance of the Intu Trafford Centre. From there head for Trafford Quays Leisure Village and then follow the signs to Chill Factore, it is just minutes away. Buses run regularly from all over the Greater Manchester area to the Trafford Centre’s on-site Bus Station. Full details of all public transport services running to and from the Trafford Centre can be found on their website. (http://intu.co.uk/traffordcentre)

How much will it cost me?

There are two price bands for admission to Play Factore - Peak and off Peak

Peak Times and Prices

The peak times are weekends, bank holidays and all school holidays.
And the facilities available then are
State of The Art Giant Play Frame
  • 1 – 4 years old £7.95
    5 – 16 years old £11.95
    Adults £3.95
    OAPS £1.95

Off Peak Times and Prices Term time Monday to Friday.
And the facilities available:
  • 1– 4 years old £5.95
    5 – 16 years old £8.95
    Adults £2.95
    OAPS £1.95

The prices are for a maximum of 2 ½ hours play, and children in *age groups are not permitted to use the laser tag arena, the big red slide or zip wire.
The Play Factore is open from 10.00am to 6.30 every day. Play Factore do not take pre-bookings for general admission, and they operate a pay on arrival system where you will be booked in by a member of the Reception team. They advise that customers arrive at 10am during peak times to avoid queuing.
Eating at the Play Factore

The restaurant at the Play Factore is in the form of an Italian coffee shop and pizzeriato.
They provide pizzas made to order, pasta dishes, bagels, salads, side snacks and sharing plates and various child friendly menu.
The food is quite expensive for this type of establishment (full menu on this link: http://www.playfactore.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Play-Factore-Menu-AUG17.pdf) but what I saw looked very good.
We didn't eat there, as for us - no trip to the Trafford Centre is complete without eating lunch as La Tasca!
But we did get a drink, there was a wide range of hot and cold drinks as well as a whole host of delicious ice cream and cakes.
Coffees were £2.25 each and Olivia's Tango was £3.75
Only food and drink purchased from Play Factore may be consumed on these premises.

Fancy a Party?

The Play Factore offers party packages for children of all ages (1 -16) complete with party hosts and party rooms with LED disco lights and iPods with specially selected party playlists.
More details here

However, these do not come cheap, the prices are in 3 groups, depending on age:

VIP PACKAGE

(6-16 Year Olds)

PEAK £19.95 OFF PEAK £17.95

Margherita or Pepperoni Pizza
Basket of Fries
Create Your Own Cookie Kit
(Cookies, Ice Cream, Icing & Sprinkles)
Zip Wire

PEAK £16.95 OFF PEAK £14.95

Margherita Pizza
Basket of Fries
Create Your Own Cookie Kit
(Cookies, Ice Cream, Icing & Sprinkles)
Our Experience

This was my first visit to the Play Factore and my daughter’s second visit; Jack and Emily are not the most punctual of people and so my daughter was panicking when they were later than planned to picking us up, as she said if you’re not there early you may have to queue.
She was right!
We got there at 10.30, and a member of staff on reception told us that there was approximately a 20minute wait before we could go in and she gave us a numbered ticket. Eventually – just before 11.00 am – we got our hands stamped and were allowed in.

We paid over £25 to get in (and that included a reduced price old biddy ticket) which I thought was very expensive; at £11.95 for a 6-year-old I thought it was wrong that we had to pay £3.95 each for the adults and £1.95 for me. They are also very stringent on the 2 ½ hours play time – they made an announcement over the Tannoy saying that anyone who stayed over their allocated time would be charged. There is also a ‘hidden price’ of £3.95 on top of the entrance fee if you wanted to use the zip wire, you have to eat and drink their food and drink – you cannot even take in drinks for the kids. So not the cheapest place to take your kids for a day out!!
I saw one poor lady heavily chastised by a member of staff for having a toddler’s sippy cup on the table, she was made to go and empty the cup and to buy a £2.25 Fruit Shoot as ‘your own food and drink is NOT allowed’
The children do get very hot running around and so do need a drink – but this is all expensive - £3.75 for a Slush!

Once inside however, I have to admit Olivia and the big kids had a brilliant time- it's nice to go to a play area suitable for older children and adults. The big kids loved going down the huge slide with Olivia and enjoyed the Laser Quest (included in the price) although Jack wasn’t happy that his sister beat him!!
As regards to the play centre itself, there is a LOT of climbing but there isn't really that much more. The kids climb to the top to go down a larger bumpy slide, which Olivia found to be great fun, but other than that there are only a couple more slides.
She did enjoy the go karts but there was a big queue for them.

I also thought that the place was pretty grimy, VERY loud, and VERY cold, even on a sunny day, and the queues for food and drink were awful.
I shudder at the thought of those parents who had taken several children – must have cost them a fortune.
Contact Details

Telephone:0844 824 6030

E Mail: info@playfactore.com

Web site: http://www.playfactore.com
In Conclusion

Unless I could get a Wowser or Groupon ticket – which I have seen advertised at times – I just wouldn’t go here. A couple with two children going at peak times and buying lunch would have to pay around £100 for a few hours it is FAR too expensive. I understand that adults CAN go on some of the activities, but the majority of parents take their children here to play, not to go on themselves and I don’t see why they should have to pay £4 to sit on a plastic chair and watch their kids while consuming overpriced food and drink..
The whole place seems very money orientated, and once you have paid the extortionate entrance fee there are lots of other things to eat away at your pockets – the zip wire, the arcade games and the expensive food and drink!!

Pictures

1. Olivia with her admission stamp
2. Inside the Play Factore
3. The go karts
4. The reception area
5. Olivia and Uncle Jack waiting to get in the Play Factore
6. The nearest bust stop at the Trafford Centre
7. Map
8. Jack, Emily and Olivia at La Tasca after our visit.

Thanks for reading I do hope that this review has been of some help!