Play.com

Web Marketplace, Books, Movies & Music

Review of "Play.com"

published 31/03/2005 | katmabel
Member since : 30/11/-0001
Pro What you see is what you pay. Nice and cheap
Cons ...yet to discover any

"Play.com"

I have been buying most of my CD's and DVD's from play.com since I discovered it about a year ago. The main reason I shop at play.com is the bargain prices. When looking for a specific CD I always have a look on other online CD shops like CD Wow and Loaded247 and I usually find that play.com is the cheapest.

Delivery and tracking: Some say that play.com are slow at delivering but from my experience they've been pretty quick bearing in ming that there is no extra delivery charge. I bought a DVD last week and it arrived 3 days later, which I would say is pretty quick considering it'd free. They send you an e-mail when the item has been despatched (usually the next day) and tell you to allow up to 5 days for delivery, but I've never had to wait 5 days.
You can track your purchase so you always know if it's out of stock or on its way and you can cancel the purchase if it hasn't been despatched. I have only cancelled once and it was nice and easy (just click cancel basically!)

Prices: The prices are generally really good and they always have special offers on. I bought some DVDs in the 3 for £10 section recently, which were great! Obviously they put the low budget films in these offers but I usually find these films more of a laugh so I'm often buying from these sections.
Although I haven't bought anything other than CDs and DVDs from play.com I have browsed the rest of the site and the books and games are also cheap, below usual retail prices. There is also an electronics section and a small gadgets section which appear to keep up the low prices.

General: The site is very easy to navigate around and uses lots of pictures and colour, which is always nice! It's really easy to find what you're looking for if you want something specific, as well as being easy to browse if you don't know what you want. It also has a countdown of upcoming releases which you can buy early and they'll send them on the release date. This is handy for finding out the release date of new CDs and DVDs.
The selection of DVDs available is very wide and they've always got what I'm looking for. However I often find they don't have the cd I want (usually older CDs), but that's just down to my music taste really.

I would definately recommend play.com to anyone, particularly for buying DVDs as it is much cheaper than most, if not all, high street shops and is also keeps up the competition for other internet stores!

• bandcamp published 23/05/2005
    my flatmates swear by Play.com and I admit, I'm beginning to agree :) M x
  • AnitaM published 18/04/2005
    Play are usually one of my first ports of call for CDs.
  • bluebunny published 31/03/2005
    Agree with everything you said, Lou