paulhanto... 4

paulhanton

Member since:01.01.1970

Ain't never to late to start playing

21.07.2007

Advantages:
Joy, new world opens up

Disadvantages:
obsessive, can be expensive

9 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. Soho_Black
  2. sghawken
  3. redeyes22

I came to musical instruments pretty late on really, in fact I have only been learning the saxophone for les than a year.

I used to be in awe of musicians (still am), reading music just did not seem possible, it looked much to complicated and there never seemed to be the right time to start.

Well, I have this quirk, every year since I was 36 I have tried something new, mainly as I wanted to be able to say to myself later in life "Hey, I tried all those things", I got on a skateboard for the first time on my 40th birthday, but thats another story, anyway I digress.

Apart from my wife and kids, learning to play an instrument is by far the most fantastic and pleasurable thing I have done in my entire life. And guess what, reading music is dead easy!!

The plus points are numerous, for a start, having asthma, since starting to play the saxophone, my lung capacity (peak flow meter) has improved by 20%, the first improvement since my late teens. Then there is the fact that I have gotten into different sorts of music that I would not normally have listened to, and so much more.

The minus points, only one, I am obsessed, I practice anywhere between 1 and 3 hours per day, and have a permanent dent inside my lower lip. Oh yea, one other minus point, all the money I spend on music books and sheet music, and new neckstraps, and reed, and music stands, and saxophone stands, and metronomes, mmmmm.

I have some tips for new players of any instrument, but particularly the saxophone.

1. Set realistic goals, mine was to be able to play one tune without music in front of me within 12 months, done that, and to play 5 tunes competently with music, try 60+, how great does that make me feel?

2. Start counting exercises from the very beginning, 'tis the hardest bit so far for me.

3. Get a good music teacher, by good I mean someone that pushes at your pace and understands how you learn.

4. Try as many different playing genres as possible

5. Practice

6. Practice

7. Practice a bit more

8. Don't forget to practice

9. Even if it is 10 minutes, practice

10. Oh yeah, practice.

I cannot tell you how much joy (aned occassionally frustration) learning an instrument brings, you will have to discover that for yourself, but however long I live I know I'll keep learning to play and I am looking forward to that.

Since I started, my wife has started learning the clarinet, my son already plays drums, our neighbours just love us, lol!

Paul

Write your own review Report a problem with this review’s content

redeyes22 12.09.2007 11:32

nice one.............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Digbycat 05.09.2007 11:31

You have no idea how many people think they can do it without practising - makes teaching them very frustrating M x

Lemonhead563 27.07.2007 19:09

well done you for learning.......hopefully its something I'll get round to in the not too distant future x