Playset - For ages: 4 Years +

Review of "Playmobil 5227 Paddock with Horses and Foal"

published 29/04/2017 | danielclark691
Member since : 27/02/2011
Images no longer uploading to Ciao, along with a whole host of other problems during the migration of servers.
Pro Good quality, equine theme, accessories, affordable.
Cons May have limited appeal.

"Playmobil Paddock with Horses and Foal"

First impressions

I will have to admit that as a child I don’t we had much Playmobil branded stuff – if any at all. I do remember going to play with neighbours that had Playmobil sets, but it just isn’t the same when it isn’t your own. Then again, I would have to say that as a child I didn’t have an equine interest at all, and I would say it was seen as something a girl would be expected to play with and not a boy.

If you have other Playmobil equine themed sets then this is one to look out for in the future. I was surprised to see how many horse related sets there are in the Playmobil range, but once you have bought one of them you need to add to it, of course!

Playmobil offers something different to Lego and other brands. I don’t want to stir up a Lego V’s Playmobil debate, with both brands having their own merits. One thing is for sure, Playmobil can be played with by a child straight out of the box.

My experience

The set we have here contains 3 horses and one lady rider. It would be nice for the set to have a male and female rider. We have a large tree to add to the scenery, and fences to pop your horses over or pen them in with, whichever you choose. There are hay bales, squirrels, saddles and a rug. There are 50 pieces in this set, and I would describe it as a medium sized set.

As we have 3 fences it wouldn’t be possible to build a paddock for your horses, which is the reason for my suggestion that they are to be jumped! Adding this set onto larger sets, you will be able to utilize these additional fences to increase the size of a paddock, and I think the set is of a fair size considering its reasonable price, which I will come onto shortly.

The legs of the horses are fixed, but there are moving heads and saddles on some horses. It is nice to see the foal with the more mature horses, but it would be nice if they had different stances and were not all the same other than their colour. Still, as this set is for children between the ages of 5 and 10 years, the basic design is acceptable. I think when you buy Playmobil you know what you are getting, or at least you do once you have bought a few of the sets. Movement may be wooden, but this is different from Lego, for example.

Price and availability

Although this set was released a number of years ago it can still be bought through the Playmobil website. The price of £12.99 is reasonable, and a number of other online retailers are also charging the same amount, so you do have options for buying online. If you wish to buy the set in used condition to save a few pounds you may be disappointed. Expect to pay around the £8-£10 mark, with postage potentially added on top if buying through eBay. You are therefore advised to buy new, because you are sure to get a complete set in perfect condition.

Final thoughts

Overall I think that this Playmobil set is very well priced. There are enough horses and accessories for you to enjoy the set on its own, but you can add other sets or individual pieces from the Playmobil range to build your own collection. This is a great start set if you like the theme, and you can add stables and additional accessories as you grow the collection.

If you have a child with an equine interest then this Playmobil set would be a perfect starting point. It is affordable and usable on its own.

• DanniiJ18 published 05/05/2017
    vh x
  • Soho_Black published 03/05/2017
    Good review
  • RICHADA published 01/05/2017
    A refreshing (non-LEGO) change in toys here! R.