Poetry

Member since : 29/01/2003
Pro Inspiring
Cons None

"Starfish Poem"

This has been my favourite poem for as long as I can remember. I used to work in a residential home for foster children. Kinda like an in between home before they were placed back at home or in a foster home. It could be a very rewarding job, it could also be very stressful and soul destroying. I always found that reading this poem helped me remember why I was there. It made me more positive in times of negativity. I hope you find some inspiration in it.

I realise that it is not really a poem, but since the name of it is Starfish Poem I felt it would be appropriate in this category. Please rememeber I have not written this, the author has remained anonymous.

There was a young man walking down a deserted beach just before dawn. In the distance he saw a frail old man.

As he approached the old man, he saw him picking up stranded starfish and throwing them back into the sea.

The young man gazed in wonder as the old man again and again threw the small starfish from the sand to the water.

He asked, "Old man, why do you spend so much energy doing what seems to be a waste of time."

The old man explained that the stranded starfish would die if left in the morning sun.

"But there must be thousands of beaches and millions of starfish!" exclaimed the young man. "How can you make any difference?"

The old man looked at the small starfish in his hand and as he threw it to the safety of the sea, he said, "It makes a difference to this one!".

What a great message, eh?
Thanks for reading!

• MAFARRIMOND published 09/11/2007
    Very thought-provoking. Maureen x x
  • Suzi75 published 08/11/2003
    I've heard this before and found it inspiring. xx
  • jeylee published 08/11/2003
    I would say to whoever wrote it: well said.

Product Information : Poetry