Poetry

Poetry

Review of "Poetry"

published 28/06/2006 | skmm
Member since : 13/03/2001
. “A comfortable old age is the reward of a well-spent youth. Instead of its bringing sad and melancholy prospects of decay, it should give us hopes of eternal youth in a better world."...R Palmer
Pro Memories rekindled
Cons None

"Lead, Kindly Light"

Lead, Kindly Light

Lead, Kindly Light

It was 28th June, 1987 at 7-30 PM when I reached Thrissur, my home town in my native state of Kerala in India, hearing that my mother was seriously ill and was admitted to a hospital. I had to fly from Dubai the previous night via Kuwait and Goa, rather than by a direct flight to my state capital. When I reached the hospital, it was too late and she had passed away, just ten minutes prior to my arrival at the hospital.

I looked at her motionless body. The earth seemed to stop and the whole world ripped apart in front of me. Those eyes would never look at me again, those lips would never smile and she would not call my name any more. Her bosom which transfused life into me would never heave again and her hands would no longer hold mine and she would never hug me again. My throat choked, my heart twinged, my eyes let out a flood of tears and I wept without any inhibition.

On the fifth day of her death, I carried an urn containing her mortal remains and I travelled to a nearby village to immerse her ashes in a river. I burst out hysterically when I immersed her ashes in the water and I let the urn still containing some ashes, go along with the flow of the water. I stood motionless while the urn disappeared unto the horizon. Today, it is 19 long years since she departed for her heavenly abode. I am sure she is blessing me from there and leading me wherever I go and whatever I do.

I once dreamt of her and what I could understand of the dream, I wrote down the next morning when I got up. I am presenting it in the form of a few lines below.

******************************************************

The shadows lengthened the day came to an end

Dusk approached the horizon changed to red

Into the lake the sun submerged

Returning birds thronged the nests

Carpet of darkness slowly spread

Night flowers blossomed and danced

Spraying fragrance all around

Lullabies echoed in many homes

On the dusty village lanes

A song became so clear very audible

My ears picked up all those syllables

The wind was blowing mercilessly cold

Notes of the song became clear and loud

A figure I saw silhouetted against

A blanket of darkness thrown amidst

Her white clothes fluttered in the wind

Her voice was emotional words so sad

My arms opened to hold her close

Like a child she cried in remorse

Tears flowing she kissed my forehead

"Where were you all this long?" her lips quivered

"I was here all these days", my voice shivered

"Will you meet me here every night?" she queried

"Till there is the universe" my words revered

Flying back with her arms stretched

Without a sign soon she vanished

I craved again to be the baby of my mother

Longing for her love and care for ever

Yearning for her touch so rare and dear

The sky became black with moving clouds

Lightning flashed with thunder very loud

Torrents of rain made the lanes flood

The swirling waters made me tread

The unknown fathoms of the oblivious end

**********************************************************************
"All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother. I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life."…Abraham Lincoln

**********************************************************************

• CGholy published 13/10/2010
    I like it. :)
  • elinor.z published 25/03/2008
    This is so beautifully well written. How exceptionally rare to experience such feelings. Elinor
  • thecrowe published 19/02/2008