Pokemon Gold/Silver (Game Boy Color)

Pokemon Gold/Silver (Game Boy Color)

Genre: Role-Playing Game (RPG) - Publisher: Nintendo - Release Year: 2001 - For: Game Boy Color

Review of "Pokemon Gold/Silver (Game Boy Color)"

published 07/06/2017 | CGholy
Member since : 17/06/2010
20,000 points till I'm bronze!
Pro A wonderful gaming experiance, lots of guides availible online.
Cons Once the internal battery goes the save file is gone.
Gameplay/Playability
Graphics
Sound
Difficulty & Complexity

"Always Be A Timeless Classic"

Gameboy cart

Gameboy cart

Introduction

I was planning on writing a review for a video game only to find that I had already written a review for it in 2012. So I thought since I've been playing this game for quite a bit that I would review Pokémon Silver instead. It's a gameboy game that I'm rather fond of, having played it since my childhood. Something about this game makes me want to come back and play it again even after all these years. Despite it's flaws, I feel that it's worthy of five stars in my heart.
Pokémon

Pokémon is something that most of us have heard of at some point. For the benefit of those who haven't heard of it, it's short for pocket monster. The premise is to catch a creature in a ball that you can put in your pocket and train it to your heart's desire.

The main objective of the game is to become what people in the pokémon world call a pokémon master. Whilst it doesn't sound overly exciting on paper, Nintendo and Gamefreak execute it well. In fact they've executed it so well that's become the international trend and one of the most popular franchises in the world.

There are 251 pokémon to choose from to have in your team. Some you have to trade with other games to get, but there's a big choice out there. From electric sheep, dancing plants, burning ponies, quirky ghosts and dangerous dragons, there's something for everyone in this game.
Gold Or Silver

Gold and Silver start the second gaming generation of pokémon It is set three years after the games in the first generation: Red, Yellow and Blue (and green for Japan). The main playable character who's default name is Gold, but you can have a different name. He's just leaving home and he's ready to pick his starter pokémon

Gold and Silver is set in Johto, a region adjacent to Kanto which was the setting for the first set of pokémon games. It follows the same pattern as the last games where you challenge eight gym leaders, then you go to the league where you challenge the Elite Four and face the champion.

But then there's a twist: you get to go back to Kanto and battle the gym leaders you faced in Red, Blue and Yellow. And the main character, Red that you play as in the first games is the final boss in this game.

It's pretty clear that they made this game for pokémon fan in mind and for people who had played the last set of games. At the same time, I think it's still suitable for people who haven't played the first generation of games.

I find the games are quite easy to play and get into to as it's so similar to before. I loved playing this game when I was 10 and over the years my feelings towards this game hasn't changed since.
Price

The original RRP was between £25-£30 when it first came out to the UK. Legit copies of this game rarely fall below this price range unless the internal battery is dead. This makes it quite hard to get at a decent price, but also hard to get one that works.

However, there seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel. While writing for this review, I've found out that Pokémon Gold and Silver will be available in the Nintendo eShop for the Nintendo 3ds in September this year. This is fantastic news. This makes the game far more accessible and a nice cheap alternative for those who haven't or no longer have a gameboy.

Story

Even though the main plot is heavily recycled, I rather enjoyed the story a lot this time round. We find out that Team Rocket have officially disbanded but some members were working underground and plan to make their official return. Your rival is a ruthless trainer who eventually learns to love his pokémon The rival is actually the son of the Team Rocket boss, but this isn't revealed in this game. It doesn't change the gameplay much, but it's a nice quirky fact.

I liked a lot of the mini-events that took place in the game. With the poorly miltank, the slowpoke tails for sale and the bug catching contests, it all adds up and help adds a bit of realism. I also think it's quite cool how certain things happen in certain days at the week.
Graphics

The graphics are not very exciting compared to the cinematic quality you can expect from modern games nowadays, but there's still something about the 8-bit pixels that I find really charming. The ability to capture so much in only a few colours is what really interests me. It's amazing how they do it.

Though I can easily say that they're a definite improvement from the last generation of games. I'll admit some of those graphics from the last games are hideous and I'm glad that they learned their lesson through that. The style isn't for everyone, but I'm rather fond of them.

Sound

I've seen in some reviews that they thought the sound wasn't very good and the quality is quite inferior to others. Whilst this is true to some extent, I do enjoy some of the tunes and jungles in this game. In particular I find both the surfing and bicycle theme very cheerful and upbeat.

And I also like the theme that plays in Ecreteak City and Cianwood city because of how slow and soothing it is. The gym leader and boss battle themes are both quite intense as well.

There's also some remixes of some of the old songs that featured in Red, Blue and Yellow, although I don't think they're as good as the originals, I think they're quite pleasant. I felt that the sounds really tingled my nostalgic senses.

Mechanics

Red, Blue and Yellow are great games, no doubt about that, but I've always enjoyed the second generation of games much more than any other. It has mechanics in the game that are so cool which I think is more interesting than the first generation. These values make the pokémon much more unique and interesting.

First is the Gender of the pokémon Before this game was out the pokémon had no assigned gender, so nobody knew what pokémon were male or female apart. There are also some genderless pokémon as well. Gender is important for breeding, but for me, genders aren't that relevant for me unless I want to give pokémon a specific nickname.

Breeding is a very neat mechanic in this game. If two pokémon are in the same egg group and are different genders they are able to breed. The baby will always be the same species as the mother, but it will inherits the father's moves. This is a nice way to get pokémon with some snazzy moves to beat in battle. Breeding is quite slow in this game though, but it's a mechanic that is quite improved upon and also relied on in future games.

Holding items is a feature I haven't noticed that much, but it's another mechanic that is very important in later games. Holding the right items will give you a great advantage in battles.

Shiny pokémon are my personal favourite mechanic featured in this game. Shiny pokémon are a nice novelty. They're basically pokémon with different colours from their normal colour, but when they come out in battle they sparkle which is a really nice event. They're quite rare in this game, but you get an opportunity to catch one guaranteed shiny in the game with the chance to capture a red gyarados (who is traditionally blue).

New types: Steel and Dark. When playing this games it's important to understand the importance of types. Each species of pokémon has one or two types. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. For example fire is good for grass and bug for example. Ghosts can't be hit with normal attack. It all helps make the game more balanced.

In the previous generation, psychic types were really overpowered. It's only true weakness was bug types but they had very poor moves. The introduction to dark and steel types fix this.

Gotta Catch Em All

Gotta catch em all is the main slogan for pokémon But it's really hard to do without cheating, trading or special events. They did introduce an online feature which is amazing and ahead of it's time, however it was only available in Japan, discontinued in 2002 and never got to see the light of day overseas. And if getting 150 in the first gen was hard, just imagine trying to get 251.

I've never really bothered trying to catch them all very much in these games because I don't feel that the ending is very rewarding. There's no real reason to do it other than for the sake of collecting, I prefer to simply use the pokémon I like.
Highlights

A lot of the highlights have already been mentioned, but I feel it deserves a special feature in this review. I love how it captures the Japanese culture in this. Ecruteak City captures an atmosphere of Kyoto with the theatre of dancing girls. Goldenrod city paints the city life well and the slot machines are a fun feature as well.
The bad points

Many fans including myself were shocked and very sad to open their game one day to find out that their save files were one. There was one big cause to this is that the internal battery has died.

There are tutorials on YouTube to fix these, but it's still a big bummer to find all that hard work and hours that you put into your game is now lost forever. Using emulators online would avoid this problem, and people emulate this game very often, but I personally don't like emulation very much. I love the feel of the console and fiddling with the buttons, it makes the experience so much more authentic.

Another thing that I thought was rather disrespectful was the "upgrade" of the pokémon tower in Lavender town. In Red, blue and yellow the pokémon tower was cemetery and was filled with graves and was dedicated to the pokémon that had lost their lives. In gold, silver and crystal that cemetery is now a radio station. Shame on you Lavender town!
Multiplayer Options

I like the multiplayer options in this game. You can battle and trade with players with the use of a gameboy cable. Whilst it's very outdated nowadays, it's still quite fun to play with people face to face. I'm sure it still happens in many retro corners.
Conclusion

I could honestly talk for hours about this game. There's so many pokémon to choose from and so many ways you can play this game. The great thing is that there are so many sites and strategies out there. Bulbapedia is a good place to start, but Serebii is more concise.
Further Reading

• spanielize published 24/07/2017
    well done on the diamond
  • jo-1976 published 18/07/2017