Ponte Vecchio, Dusseldorf

Ponte Vecchio, Dusseldorf

Italian Restaurant

Review of "Ponte Vecchio, Dusseldorf"

published 27/11/2011 | fizzytom
Member since : 21/07/2003
Just had our 2 year anniversary of coming to Slovenia. How time flies!
Pro Excellent value specials; lots of fish dishes if you like them
Cons Smokers congregating around outdoor tables
Standard of Menu
Atmosphere
Standard of Service
Cleanliness

"Fishy Bargains in Düsseldorf"

To say that Düsseldorf diners are spoilt for choice when it comes to restaurants is an understatement. In the city centre there are streets and streets of restaurants and cafes representing cuisines from all over the globe and we found making a decision very difficult. On our first night we had eaten in a German restaurant (that also had a few Balkan specialities on the menu I was interested to note) and for our second night we wanted something different. After some discussion we plumped for Ponte Vecchio, an Italian restaurant in a narrow lane just off Berger Strasse.

Most Düsseldorf restaurants have conveniently placed menus outside but it was the specials listed on a chalk board that grabbed our attention. These started at around Euro8 and went up to around Euro16; in contrast main courses on the a la carte menu started around the Euro16 mark so the specials certainly seemed to offer good value. This isn't a pizza/pasta joint, although pasta is served in some dishes but with meat or fish, rather than on its own with a sauce.

We took an outside table as it was a very warm evening but later regretted this move when smokers sat at the table next to us and smokers who were dining inside the restaurant came out for a cigarette. If, like me, you really don't like people smoking near you while you're eating, you have no choice in Düsseldorf but to dine indoors.

We could see that the restaurant was quite busy inside and we could only see one waiter frantically dashing around. However we weren't in any great hurry and were happy enough to wait until he got to us. The menu was classically Italian but there appeared to be an emphasis on fish, especially among the specials. We decided against starters but a plate of delicious crunchy toasted ciabatta dripping with garlicky oil was brought to us anyway and kept us going until our meals arrived.

I picked the pangasius, or Vietnamese river cobbler - a white fish - served in a white wine sauce served with taglierini (a slimmer version of tagliatelle) with peperoncini. Himself chose the 'Rotbarsch' (which several online sources state is 'ocean perch') in a Provencal sauce and a little heap of sautéed potatoes. We ordered a mixed salad to share which we picked at before the mains arrived, though it was a generous serving and there was still plenty to eat with the meal.

Once the orders were taken it took a while for our drinks to come but once another high speed waiter joined the other one, things started to move. The garlic bread appeared along with our drinks, a Rhenania Altbier for Himself and a simple bottle of San Pellegrino sparkling water for me.

The main courses were not far behind. My fish fillet was beautifully cooked and smothered in the delicious sauce which was creamy and well seasoned but still had a tang from the wine. There was a generous serving of pasta tossed in a simple sauce of ever so slightly spicy peppers, herbs and oil. The only thing missing was some extra bread to mop up the sauce.

The rotbarsch was also good, nicely cooked with the fish flaking away with the gentlest of touches, but it was the rich Provencal sauce that was the highlight of the dish; it was a very simple tomato sauce but the flavour was excellent and it contained only a handful of herbs to finish it off. A few little piles of just wilted spinach (or similar green vegetable) added some colour if not substance. The golden potatoes were delicious and I couldn't help taking a few to dip in my sauce.

We declined dessert or coffees primarily because a group of diners had come outside to smoke but I did see the desserts being served inside the restaurant and they did look delicious, especially the tiramisu.

I can't really comment on the restaurant interior as I only went inside briefly to use the toilets but I did notice that it looked quite simple with plain walls and a wooden floor. There was a steady stream of customers and, judging by the way the waiters interacted with some diners, a few appeared to be regulars.

The total for two mains, a mixed salad, and two drinks came to a shade under Euro28 (approximately £24.74 in April 2011 when we visited) which seemed reasonable in comparison with prices at other restaurants in the city centre and given the prices of dishes of Ponte Vecchio's main menu, and when you consider that the main courses were actually a full dish and did not require any additional accompaniments.

Wallstrasse 5, Düsseldorf

• Coloneljohn published 02/12/2011
    Nice one. John
  • Jake_Speed published 30/11/2011
    Super write up
  • catsholiday published 28/11/2011
    I do find people smoking when I am eating very rude - it really puts me off my food!

Product Information : Ponte Vecchio, Dusseldorf