Review of "Pot Noodle"

published 19/12/2002 | michaird
Member since : 30/11/-0001
Good
Pro Cheap, nice noodles, quick
Cons Too salty, full of calories, fat, MSG and salt
Smell
Product Quality

"String vests in an MSG gravy....yummy"

Well ever since I read Justme’s opinion the other day on how lovely pot noodles were I have been hankering after one. This is quite unusual for me, I’m not the biggest fan of noodles.

So I went and bought myself a chow mein flavoured one and have brought it to work today for my lunch. It’s in front of me now, half eaten in its squat plastic pot. I don’t feel well.

On pulling back the foil lid you are faced with a block of dry noodles covered in a yellow powder, other pot noodles will have a brown powder I’m sure it’s all the same stuff really.

It’s remarkably easy to make, you just throw in some boiling water and wait for the noodle to go soft. Most pot noodles come with a sachet of flavouring; this one has a generous helping of soy sauce.

As the noodles begin to soften you give it a good hard stir and watch the gourmet delight that is pot noodle appear before your eyes. The medium egg noodles look like they should, no surprises and no complaints there. There are a few scraps of carrot floating about and I think I even saw half a pea. There are quite a few large green flecks that look a bit like chives. I hope they are chives. Hang on let me check….yep, they’re chives. All this is coated with a yellowish brown gravy; it looks a little like chip shop curry sauce. There are little pieces of what look like chicken, they are actually Soya pieces and the pot tells me that vegetarians can eat it too, aren’t you lucky?

So all in all it’s not the most attractive of meals, but then some of the best tasting food in the world looks as if someone has eaten it before. The only real test is the taste test. So here we go:

Okay, so it’s salty, very salty. It was mildly salty before I put the soy sauce in but now it’s very salty. I quite like salty food but this is too much. I quick look at the nutrition tells me that each pot has a whopping 1.7g of sodium, you’re only supposed to have about 6g per day.

The noodles are quite good, not to mushy and not to hard. They’re quite short so its easy to keep them on a spoon but not so short that they’d be hard to wrap around a fork. The noodles get the thumbs up.

The gravy is quite thick, and it glistens, this makes me wonder if there is any Mono Sodium Glutamate in it. A check of the ingredients confirms my suspicions and explains the gloopy texture of the sauce.

It doesn’t taste like any chow mein I’ve ever had, it just tastes like a very mild and very salty chip shop curry sauce. Although the noodles themselves are nice I cant help but think about my mum calling them string vests.

It does taste to me a lot like the beef flavour, which tastes nothing like beef, but less sweet. I’m afraid it’s nothing more than average, and for 381 calories and 14g of fat I want better than average.

On the upside it only cost 80 pence, which is cheaper than buying a sandwich.

Well I ate it, but I wasn’t very nice. It filled me up, but it gave me indigestion. I would eat another one, but only if there was no other option.

Recommended for people who are drunk, too busy to cook, too busy to make a sandwich, students, lacking taste buds, less delicate than me.

• atait published 23/12/2002
    Hah. Another op with great insight. They really are rubbish, and the nutritional values are shocking. Another funny and very useful op. A
  • justme published 23/12/2002
    I love them, but then again I am a drunkard!!....Merry Xmas.Lianne.x
  • kazziebears published 22/12/2002
    When I first met Will one of his fave snacks was Pot Noodle and chips..mixed together! Suffice to say his tastes have now altered!! Not that I pertain to being a suyperb cook but I can do more than open a Pot Noodle! I have to say thought that I used to quite like the Chicken and Mushroom ones, without the chips! Have a good Chrimbo Michelle! Kaz xx