Review of "Pot Of Dreams Money Pot"

published 01/08/2011 | stillclueless
Member since : 23/02/2004
The new house has been taking up all of my time - but I'm back and will hopefully be posting some new reviews soon. xx
Pro Attractive and decorative, great way to help you save
Cons You have to break it to get your money

"I hope my dreams come true"

For my Christmas last year my best friend bought me pot of dreams money pot. My partner and I are currently saving for a house which is very challenging and we're hoping by this time next year we'll be in our very own home and this was her way of encouraging me to save every single penny I have going spare, and what makes this pot special is that I can't take any of my pennies out until it's full, so no dipping in.

About the Pot of Dreams

The Pot of Dreams is in many ways similar to the terramundi pot where your savings start as soon as the first coin hits the bottom and you have no choice but to keep saving until the pot is full, as there is no way to release the money without smashing the pot. The caption on the money pot ticket reads

"This money pot is for hopes and schemes. To help you save for all your dreams"

I have big dreams of my very first house so find this caption very appropriate.

The pot I have is entitled spending spree measuring 155mm tall by 150mm wide and is basically a round cream coloured ceramic pot with a wide coin slot located on the top of the pot which is decorated beautifully with painted handbags and stars with little diamonte decorations dotted here and there, and in big italic writing on the front it says spending spree. On the back of the pot itself there is also a caption which states

"A pot to help you save, your pennies pounds and more. So you can buy all the things you really do adore"

Now I'm not sure exactly how much the pot of dreams holds but I have read they can hold up to £1000 if you put only one and two pound coins in there, so that's been my main focus since christmas time and I'm pleased to say that it's almost half full already, I'll be cracking it open in no time.

Opening your pot of dreams

The quickest and easiest way to crack open your pot of dreams is to wrap it up in a tea towel and whack it with a hammer. if you fancy going down the more delicate route, you can apparently get a chisel and chisel the lipped lid off thus leaving the pot mostly in tact so that it can be used for something else.

Other uses for your pot once opened

Once you've retrieved all of your pennies from your pot of dreams you can re-use what's left of it, if it's in tact that is, and some of the more popular uses I've come across is to use the now open pot as a flower pot, or a candle holder. Other options are to use as a desk tidy or even a decorative piece for odds and ends. To be honest once my pot is full I think I'm just going to dive in a smash the whole thing to smithereens.

Where to buy

you can pretty much find these money pots in any gift shop and they come with a variety of different saving captions, such as wedding fund, holiday fund, shoe fund and all sorts of other things. The average cost is around £9.99, but the price may differ depending on the store you're buying it from. I know that Amazon have a selection so that's always a good place to check out if your on the hunt.

Would I recommend

My Pot of Dreams is getting heavier by the day, and every time I pop another pound coin or two pound coin in there I get a great feeling of satisfaction knowing that i'm one step closer to being able to crack it open. A great way to save the pennies and a pot of dreams would make a lovely gift for anyone who is looking to save a penny or two

• moistbabe published 03/08/2011
    A nice idea x
  • kevin121 published 03/08/2011
    These are so pretty, I don't think I'd want to smash it! Good luck with your savings though. Rachael. x
  • Elysia2003 published 02/08/2011
    I just recently had to smash my Terramundi pot - I dropped it on the concrete patio. :)