Type: Novelty Lighting - Christmas Lights

Review of "Poundland Christmas Coloured Shaped Lights"

published 16/12/2014 | ryeb
Member since : 02/06/2011
Good luck in your future projects all. Hope you all got to £5, GB quick if not and I will try and rate this eve
Pro Cheap, bright, colourful, batteries last well
Cons Varying quality, short length, battery box relatively bulky.

"Christmas lights keeps us merry and bright"

Poundland Christmas Coloured Shaped Lights

I first came across the Poundland coloured lights last year when I was looking for something to brighten up some little tree table centre pieces for an OAP day centre party. They were a hit with the guests and I was suprised at how bright and colourful the lights were, considering how cheap they were. So I bought a couple of sets for myself, which I have added to this year. They don't get an unqualified thumbs up though..

The lights I am reviewing are battery powered LED ones, and they are available in a variety of colours and designs. Here's the basic details because they don't seem to be listed on the Poundland website :

*Total length of light strand not including battery compartment - 1m

*Distance from batteries to first light - 12cm approx

*10 lights in strand.

* Stocking design is red LED's, christmas tree is green, snowflakes blue.

Appearance wise, these don't look any worse quality than the battery lights I have bought from B&Q. The LED's are encased in clear plastic shapes resembling either stockings, Christmas tree's or snowflakes. I have at least one set of all - if there are other designs I haven't seen them. You can very clearly see what the shapes are supposed to be and if you look at the stocking lights, you will see they have extra detail marked on the surface, representing a fur trim and spots. This is probably a bit pointless as you can only see this very close up and not at all when the lights are actually on. The lights as a whole don't look that decorative when off but that isn't really the point of them. The wire and battery compartment are dark green so do blend nicely into the background if you are using them on a tree. The battery is heavier than the lights so does need to be positioned carefully as it can pull the strand down if placed below. This battery compartment is about 8.5cm long so it isn't the daintiest thing to hide, and because of the relative weightiness, it does need to be attached to something quite substantial. I solved this problem when decorating our 2 ft centrepiece trees by taping the battery box out of sight and onto the back of a tall Merry Christmas sign inserted into the tree's base.

Because of the lights short length, you would need several strands to decorate a full size tree and I don't think a set of just 10 lights would be designed for that anyway. I use them as cheerful looking room decorations, draped along a shelf each of a welsh dresser and bookcase. The snowflake lights were also used to decorate a wreathe last year, with the battery box fixed behind and smothered in greenery. The wreathe was hung indoors but with no need to find an electrical socket to plug into we could position it anywhere and not worry about trailing leads.

Setting up the lights is easy. Batteries aren't included but they only require 2 AA batteries per set. You need a small Phillips head screwdriver to open the compartment - I found the screwdriver that came with a glasses repair kit the perfect size. I have had one set where the screw was unusually stubborn but I managed to lever the compartment lid up with the tip of a flat edged screwdriver, without disturbing the screw. This varying quality for parts of the lights is why I deduct a star. The battery life is impressive though, even though I have been using the cheapest non alkaline ones. Kept on for about 4-5 hours a day for three weeks, I have yet to change a set this year!

The lights are properly bright and strongly coloured, which makes up for the small number of them. There's no choice of function - the only choice is off or on (static). I didn't expect anything else at the price. The control is an easy to use switch on the battery compartment so you do need to keep this accessible - or decide to leave the lights on if like me you forget this point when disguising it with greenery!

The varying quality issues I mentioned, are not limited to the screws on the battery conpartment. Both this year and last I have had to return one set of lights. In both cases the lights came on but then flickered off when the cable was moved which made me think there was a loose connection. They were exchanged without quibble but I would rather they had worked properly. All the others including the ten sets used for the OAP party were fine and have continued to work perfectly.

Overall, for the low price these are worth trying as they are bright, colourful and slow to use their batteries up. However they are a short length so are not suitable for every use and there is varying quality to be concerned about. I have bought some other battery lights in the pre Christmas sales from both Wilko and a local garden centre which are 80-100 lights with multi function too for between £3.50 and £5 which seems a better deal if you want more lights in one place.

• missrarr published 28/12/2014

Type: Novelty Lighting - Christmas Lights

Type: Novelty Lighting

Manufacturer: Poundland

Listed on Ciao since: 13/12/2014

Poundland Christmas Coloured Shaped Lights - Review - Christmas lights keeps us merry and bright
Home > Home & Garden > Household > Home Lighting > Poundland Christmas Coloured Shaped Lights > Reviews

ryeb 4

ryeb

About me: Good luck in your future projects all. Hope you all got to 5, GB quick if not and I will try and rate this eve

Member since:02.06.2011

Christmas lights keeps us merry and bright

16.12.2014

Advantages:
Cheap, bright, colourful, batteries last well

Disadvantages:
Varying quality, short length, battery box relatively bulky .

36 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  3. Pointress

*Total length of light strand not including battery compartment - 1m

*Distance from batteries to first light - 12cm approx

*10 lights in strand.

* Stocking design is red LED's, christmas tree is green, snowflakes blue.

Overall, for the low price these are worth trying as they are bright, colourful and slow to use their batteries up. However they are a short length so are not suitable for every use and there is varying quality to be concerned about. I have bought some other battery lights in the pre Christmas sales from both Wilko and a local garden centre which are 80-100 lights with multi function too for between 3.50 and 5 which seems a better deal if you want more lights in one place.
Pictures of Poundland Christmas Coloured Shaped Lights
Poundland Christmas Coloured Shaped Lights Poundland Christmas Coloured lights
Poundland Christmas Coloured Shaped Lights

Write your own review Report a problem with this reviews content

missrarr 28.12.2014 19:53