Power Rangers (Blu-ray)

Power Rangers (Blu-ray)

Review of "Power Rangers (Blu-ray)"

published 04/08/2017 | Caz87
Member since : 29/07/2017
I love film, theatre and entertainment. I am a keen runner and spend a lot of time doing that when I am not working, I work full time in football.
Good
Pro Picture Quality, Digital Download
Cons Special Features
Did you enjoy it?
Story
Characters / Performances
Special Effects
Soundtrack

"Go Go Power Rangers. An origin story and throwback to the 90s!"

A nice shinny sleeve over the Blu-Ray

A nice shinny sleeve over the Blu-Ray

I have to start this review by giving a little bit of background to my love for the Power Rangers, I grew up in the 90s and it was easily my favourite TV show as a kid. I pretty much wanted to be the Pink Ranger, I therefore feel that this film took me back to feeling like a kid. I think that is an impressive thing for a film to do. It has

The Film

This is a reboot of the Power Rangers universe, showing how the five teenagers become the superheroes. I found it to be a very impressive origin story and the build up showing that it still took a lot of hard work for them to become the Rangers was actually an impressive idea.

Each of the characters had issues as well, coming together gave them friendship as well as hope of a different life. An alien threat of Rita Repulsa needs to be stopped, but can they complete the training in time to save not only Angel Grove but the world?

They stay true to the original Mighty Morphin Power Rangers as we have Jason, Kimberly, Billy, Trini and Zack back keeping the same colours Red, Pink, Blue, Yellow and Black. That might be a small detail but I thought it was pretty important in all honesty. It gives everyone a familiar feel.

Be warned though I think parts of it would be a little bit too scary for younger children, Rita's appearances are pretty creepy and the Putties are a lot different to how they looked in the TV show!

Performances

Darce Montgomery finds himself as the leader of the group and I was very impressed with his performance as Jason. But each Ranger has a chance to grow as we explore the characters in a small way in this film, but certainly more will come out if they continue to grow the series. Elizabeth Banks really was good as Rita Repulsa and actually rather creepy and scary at times, totally stealing each scene she was in. An added bonus that Bryan Cranston is in as Zordon!

Special Features

I think it could have done with more in this department and it only has 1 disc instead of two so everything is accessible from one menu.
  • Audio Commentary with Director (Dean Israelite) and Writer (John Gatins)
  • The Power of the present
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Outtakes
  • Theatrical Trailer

Price

I preordered the film on Amazon to get it on release date and paid "£12.99" which is a good price for a new Blu-ray which I think shows that the price of them has started to drop as it always used to be more for the new releases.

Final Thoughts

While the film received mixed reviews on its cinema release I still throughly enjoyed it and thought it was one of theist superhero films in the past couple of years, I have found Marvel to have slipped up a little bit and DC (up until Wonder Woman) had been disappointing as well. So I certainly think there is room for the Power Rangers in the film superhero world. I really hope we don't have to wait too long until the next film is released.

• IzzyS published 21/09/2017
    Good review.
  • danielclark691 published 23/08/2017
    very good
  • mousy86 published 07/08/2017
    Nice review x

offers "Power Rangers (Blu-ray)"