Premier Apartments Nottingham, Nottingham

Premier Apartments Nottingham, Nottingham

Review of "Premier Apartments Nottingham, Nottingham"

published 24/05/2011 | ChemicalRomance
Member since : 01/08/2005
Hello lovely Ciao people I am officially back!
Pro Nice clean comfy apartment...
Cons The second shower was a bit broken and the door handle was wobbling a bit too much!
Cleanliness
Service
Facilities

"Premier Apartments.. Home From Home.."

Main bathroom of the apartment!

Main bathroom of the apartment!

A month or two ago I was looking for a hotel, when I went to Nottingham to see a comedy show – was quite keen to get one really close to the Capital FM Arena, Trent FM arena it used to be called, and before that the Ice Arena… As to be honest I was planning on having a few drinks in the evening and didn’t want to drive back that night, little bit lazy but we wanted to make a night of it. So I looked on Hotels.com for hotels close to Nottingham’s train station – and this was the first that popped up, it immediately caught my eye because it looked a bit posh on the photos – so it was pretty much decided there and then, that we were staying there. Even though it was only for one night we were going to stay in style.

What Are The Premier Apartments?

Premier Apartments are owned by a leading group of hotel management services that operate all across England, Ireland and across Northern Europe. Established in 1996, they now own eight different apartment sites across England and Ireland – don’t ask me why not in Scotland because I don’t know! Nottingham’s Premier Apartment, the one in which I stayed in, offers modern accommodation with a choice of one or two bedroom apartments, which overlook the city and the penthouse apartments apparently have great views of the city, and are a perfect place to entertain clients…

Where Are The Others?

There are eight different apartment blocks across England and Ireland they are situated in;

Dublin City Centre,
Manchester,
Nottingham
And Newcastle…

How To Find The Premier Apartments in Nottingham

If you are arriving by train, then the Apartments are literally 15 minute walk away down the side of the train station and across some precarious traffic lights and up the road. It is quite an easy walk to make unless it’s raining obviously. There aren’t any directions on the roads so have a look on Google maps before you go, to just make sure you know where you are going.

If you are driving they do suggest you to e-mail them before hand as there are limited parking spaces… Which are £12 a night, but I have scoured the website and haven’t found a postcode for a satnav – it may be something they will give you on acceptance, but since I didn’t drive there I’m unsure about that. However, on the website which I will post at the end of this review there are specific instructions when you arrive in Nottingham to find the apartments.

From The Outside…

I have to say when we first arrived, I almost missed the place it has such a tiny door way on the street that it is easy to miss. The entrance is literally on the side of the street a 2 minute walk away from the arena, if that to be honest. The building the apartments are set in is a little bit older fashioned than you might expect, it’s by no means shabby from the outside but it isn’t anything to shout about, there is no fancy architecture here. There is a panel on the side of the building, in pale blue with ‘Ice House’ down the side, that is the building you want to be at if you are visiting, just to let you know that because coming from the train station direction, you wouldn’t realise – as there is no actually notification that it is the Premier Apartments site.

Now the main thing that bothered me was that the front door was actually broken, as it is instructed on the door to ring the buzzer for check in, but you actually go up to the door and pull it and it will come open. Which to be honest defies the object of having the key fob that you swipe to unlock the door, which is also a bit scary in regards to safety. I would hope by now they actually have the security fitted properly, as when you walk in the door, all you have to do is get in the lifts and you can get onto the floors with the rooms!

Checking In

Checking in is between 14.00 and 21.00 on your date of arrival, and checking out is 12.00 on your day of departure. Checking out is as simple as just handing your key in and walking out…

Checking in is incredibly easy, purely because as soon as you walk in the door the reception desk is behind some sliding glass doors – give the bell to the side of it a ring and someone will open up the doors so you can fill out the paperwork, and sign your life away for the sake of a room. The receptionist showed us how to use our key card on the broken door, just in case it started working! She then proceeded to show us how to use the lift, which floor we needed to be on – and how to unlock the door to our apartment. Not sure that we quite needed all that, but never mind, least we got chance to complain that the door handle was incredibly loose! The receptionist came in quickly and showed us round the apartment – giving some quick instructions of how to use the facilities and told us a handy man would be up imminently to fix some blown light bulbs.

The bonus when we checked in actually was that when we were going over the details of the room we had booked, the receptionist actually upgraded us to a double room. Which given there was only two of us planning on sleeping in the same bed it was a little bit pointless, but regardless of that we were happy to take the upgrade, mainly because it gave us two bathrooms – so we could both get showered quickly!

The Staff

Providing the staff haven’t changed I haven’t got a bad word to say about them, they were incredibly friendly and were happy to give us a quick directional tour of Nottingham if we hadn’t been there before. Happily we didn’t need it since I go to university in Nottingham and we’d stayed there before! When we were in our room and the handy man popped up to change the light bulbs, he was very polite and knocked on the door before barging in and getting on with his job – well you never know what we might have been doing! I only saw three members of staff but they all seemed quite happy, even one started giving me a bit of her life story about her university days…

The Kitchen

The kitchen came surprisingly well stocked; I’m not so sure why I was surprised since it was a fully furnished apartment – but never mind! It comes with a fully functioning fridge freezer, which when I opened it to give it a good inspection wasn’t impressed with the smell it was emitting, but providing I kept the door shut I couldn’t smell it! There were nice and clean, utensils in the draws, more than satisfactory in cleanliness stakes with plates and bowls too. The mugs that got the most use, were in great condition, and I am happy to say that the kettle worked nicely for me and my guest! The biscuits included were pretty nice as well, even though we fought over one packet because they were really nice; tea, coffee, sugar, little milks and biscuits were included in the price which was nice!

The Living Room

The living room, was lovely and open plan – with two sofas, that were nice and comfy to lie on, sit on and whatever else you fancy doing on them! There was also a small rug with a coffee table on, which was all clean and tidy, no cracks or smashes which was nice. There was a mirror on the wall, and a picture opposite, so the room was nicely adorned and in general had a very homely feel to it. The television was a little bit, well shall we say poor, but it was good enough for the time we needed to use it, there was actually a DVD player in it, so if you were staying for longer than one night – you could chill out with a DVD if you wanted to. There was also a stereo, for if you fancied having a bit of music on… It genuinely felt very homely in the room, everything was in good condition and very clean, no stains on the sofas which is always a bit of a bonus!

The Bedrooms

Considering we got an upgrade we had two rooms, one with a double bed in and one with two single beds. In effect we got a family room for the price of a single room, the rooms were again very clean and if not a little sterile. Why hotels insist on putting white sheets on the beds are beyond me, but both rooms had very white, very clean sheets – I didn’t take a UV torch with me, but I was definitely satisfied that they were clean enough to sleep on in both rooms. The only problem I had was the fact that the headboards were loose, so if you moved a bit too heavily on the bed then you would be banging it against the wall. Thankfully the other side of both rooms, were another room in the apartment so it wouldn’t have been disturbing anyone else. In both rooms there were built in mirrored wardrobes, which came with coat hangers just in case you need to hang things up! There were bedside tables with lamps on in both rooms too, and the good old bible in the draw if you really fancied it! The room with the double bed in even had a separate shelving unit to put the towels on, and they were in the wardrobe of the single room – the towels were also white but very clean, but of course if you were there for more than one night with more than two people you would need more towels! One thing I will say about the bedrooms is that they have a lot of nice plush carpet in, now whether that room hadn’t been used much or new carpet, it was very nice to walk on!

The Bathrooms

As normal in a hotel, the bathrooms are lovely a white – reassured there were no nasty hairs lurking around the plug hole! Had there been I’d have been running down the stairs and telling them to get cleaning! The en-suite that was attached to the single room, was just a toilet, sink and shower – but it was a big shower actually, enough for two people in there!! There is a rail inside the shower if you struggle to stay stood up for a long time, which is very considerate, but we did find that with this shower it was liable to fall apart at the bottom where the sliding doors opened and closed, during our stay we managed to break the bottom of the doors silver panel just by opening the door – which made this otherwise perfect bathroom a bit poor. The main bathroom however didn’t have anything like that attached to its shower it just had a half bath side that was fixed where the shower head was. A basin and a toilet also feature in this bathroom of course, they were all nice and clean, and the toilet paper was folded into a point as well… Now my biggest plus point about these bathrooms was the showers, because they were quick to respond to temperature change, and they were really powerful, it was lovely on my poor back after a hard night next door at a comedy gig!

Overall

In general this Ice House Premier Apartment was a great place to spend the night, as it is a ten minute walk away from the main city if you know where you are walking – and there are plenty of things close by to get food and drink. The big bonus is the fact the Ice Arena or whatever you want to call it is literally next door, when we came out of the gig, we stumbled after a few drinks up the arena path and into our hotel. It is very handy for that exact reason, as well as the fact it is quite comfortable – but then again I’d been up since 5, done a full day at university, gone home to pick up my guest and come back to Nottingham again and had a few beers so anything would have been comfy that night. By the morning however I had made full use of all the facilities and they were all in working order, aside from dodgy smells – it was a lovely place to stay, and if I can have a flat like that in the future then I’d be happy!

Price

It’s not a cheap hotel to stay in unfortunately, we paid £68 for the one night back in February, however just checking the prices now and they are quite a lot higher now. They are around £70 if you aren’t booking in advance, however if you book in advance for a week night they are closer to £50 – it is worth looking around at different sites just to see if you can get a good deal!

• KathEv published 20/06/2011
    Fantastic write up!
  • Violet1278 published 12/06/2011
    Superb review. E from me.x
  • MrBrightside1987 published 27/05/2011
    Fantastic review this looks bang tidy :) xx