Premier Inn Crewe West, Crewe

Premier Inn Crewe West, Crewe

Review of "Premier Inn Crewe West, Crewe"

published 19/05/2017 | Pointress
Member since : 19/03/2014
Thanks to all those for review and rate!
Good
Pro Consistent offering; decent room
Cons No taxis!
Cleanliness
Service
Facilities

"A reasonable room at a reasonable price"

From the outside

From the outside

~~~ Where is it? ~~~
There are two Premier Inns in Crewe – one is very close to the station; one a little further out on the outskirts of town. On a recent visit to Crewe for work, I was advised by locals to book into the Premier Inn Crewe West. I took 10 minute taxi drive from the station to the Inn which is at the junction of the A530 and A532, 9 miles from Junction 16 of the M6.

The hotel is set in nicely maintained grounds with a decking area outside for warmer days and adjoins a Beefeater. Prices start at £44 but this will depend on how far you book in advance and whether or not want a flexible booking; my room with breakfast was booked through my employer’s booking system and cost £86.99.

~~~ The rooms ~~~
I was checked in efficiently and directed to my room on the first floor. Premier Inn rooms are available from from 2pm on the day you're due to arrive and check out is by 12 noon. When I’m travelling for work, I always feel relieved when I’ve been booked into a Premier Inn. I know what to expect – good basic accommodation that may lack some of the luxuries that other establishments offer but I know that there will be a decent enough room with a comfortable bed which means I’ll get a good night’s sleep.

Premier Inn make rather a thing about their beds and the marketing appears to be working. Most colleagues say the same thing – Premier Inn has a consistent offering with rooms that have a good bed at a very reasonable price. In fact they offer a ‘Good Night Guarantee’ based on their luxury kingsize Hypnos bed - apparently a pillow-top mattress supported by over a thousand pocket springs. So if you don’t get a good night’s sleep, you can request a refund.

The room was large and welcoming. All very standard and one could say impersonal. These rooms are all made to a tried and trusted formula – no quirky features or much flair. However, this is what I need when travelling for work. When on holiday, I’m more inclined to opt for a more boutique style hotel with rooms that have a more personal touch but this can be a bit hit and miss and when I have an important meeting the next day, I don’t particularly want any nasty surprises.

My room at the Premier Inn Crewe West lived up to expectations. A decent no frills room that was dominated by a large king-sized bed. It has all the other features that I would expect – a small desk with wi-fi; limited hanging space for clothes, a kettle with tea/coffee (no biscuits) and tv. You can upgrade the wi-fi for a small charge but I found the standard offering quite sufficient - the maximum data allowance is 1 GB per user per day and you can connect up to 3 devices.

The en suite was clean and bright. Again, not much flair but more than adequate. I have to admit that I do like to have some good toiletries provided in the bathroom and Premier Inn fails on that score. Soap is dispensed from containers screwed on the wall which seems just a bit too utilitarian.

~~~ Eating at the Premier Inn West Crewe ~~~
The adjoining Beefeater is open from 6.30 to 10.30 for breakfast and 4.00 to 10:00 for an evening meal.

When I checked in the receptionist warned me that if I wanted to eat, the restaurant was very busy but that the same menu was offered in the bar area. However, when I had freshened up and went down to the Beefeater to investigate at around 7.30, there appeared to be plenty of spaces and I was quickly shown to a table.

Again, Beefeaters operate on a tried and tested formula with a familiar menu. The service was friendly and efficient although my steak was as tough as old boots! According to the menu my 8oz sirloin should have balanced “leanness with a juicy texture for extra flavour”. It was flavoursome but was definitely chewy! It came medium rare as requested with nice chips but the pepper sauce was disappointing. By the time I had added a large glass of red and a tip, the bill came to £25.

Breakfast the next day was less disappointing. In fact, it was jolly good with my breakfast cooked quickly to order. The full breakfast comes with back bacon rashers, sausage (Quorn sausages are an option), black pudding, a choice of eggs (scrambled, fried, poached, boiled or as an omelette, hash browns, mushrooms, tomatoes and baked beans. I just went for one sausage, a rasher of bacon and a fried egg – all well cooked and nicely presented.

There was also a tempting array of pastries for those taking the continental option as well as cereals, fruit, yoghurts and of course fruit juices and hot drinks. If you’re not on a rate that includes breakfast, you’ll be charged 6.99 for the continental of £8.99 for the full English breakfast.

~~~ Leaving the Inn ~~~
Just a word of caution for those needing a taxi in the morning. Book the night before! Like several other guests, I assumed that getting a taxi to take me to my 8.30 meeting wouldn’t be a problem. I asked on my way to breakfast and was told that this might be difficult and so it proved. Even when one was eventually booked (and this was at a later time then I really wanted), it was very late turning up and I had to ask the receptironist to phone up the company to check where the taxi was. There were several of us who were late for our meetings that morning!
~~~ Overall ~~~
The Premier Inn West Crewe is a perfectly decent hotel. What Premier Inns lack in atmosphere is made up for in consistency. The West Crewe Premier Inn is no different – I got a reasonable room at a reasonable price. The location was fine although the difficulty in getting a taxi was a nuisance and my evening meal wasn’t the best. Ideally, I’d give it a 3.5 – on the Ciao scale, 4 seems a little too generous so I’m afraid I’m being tough and just giving it a 3.
~~~~~~
Premier Inn West Crewe Coppenhall Lane, Woolstanwood, Crewe CW2 8SD
If using a Sat Nav, use CW2 8UE
Plenty of free on-site parking.

• Mac83 published 23/05/2017