Review of "Prima Candy Floss Maker"

published 28/10/2006 | greatmum1
Member since : 06/12/2002
I love being a Ciao member and reading reviews. I am lazy while writing reviews. I plan a lot write less! Well if everyone writes, who reads? Thanks very much everyone finally got the red dot!
Good
Pro Candy floss when U want it
Cons very little
Performance
User's Manual
Cleaning & Maintenance

"Candy floss- but not enough"

Prima Candy floss maker

Prima Candy floss maker

As a member of a survey panel- I was offered a choice of gifts in return of completing surveys. I was going through the catalogue trying to find out what to choose? My husband joined the children and convinced me to choose a candy floss maker. My children were quite excited about it and we waited quite anxiously for its arrival.

We received a huge but very light cardboard box and inside it was another box with the candy floss maker. The packaging was very basic and unimpressive. The machine works on mains power and consumes 470 watts. It comes with a 12-month warranty.

The candy floss maker had a bowl, the rotating head and the main body of the machine, with the electric element. Included with it is a measuring spoon, 12 paper cones to wind the floss onto, party hats, masks and streamers.

The instruction manual was very detailed and came with more don'ts than dos- have a read- for fun-

• Do not touch hot surfaces.
• To protect against fire, electric shock and personal injury, do not
• immerse cord, plug or cotton candy maker in water or other liquid.
• Close supervision is necessary when any appliance is used by or near
• children.
• Unplug from outlet when not in use and before cleaning. Allow to cool
• before putting on or taking off bowl and extractor head assembly.
• Do not operate any appliance with a damaged cord or plug or after the
• appliance malfunctions, or has been damaged in any manner.
• Do not use outdoors.
• Do not let cord hang over edge of table or counter, or touch hot surface.
• Do not place on or near a hot gas or electric burner, or in a heated oven.
• Extreme caution must be used when moving an appliance containing
• hot liquids.
• Always attach plug to appliance first, then plug cord into the wall outlet.
• To disconnect, turn all controls to "off" then remove plug from wall outlet.
• Do not use appliance for other than intended use as described in this
• manual.
• If the supply cord is damaged, it must be replaced by the manufacturer
• or its service agent or a similarly qualified person in order to avoid a hazard.
THIS APPLIANCE HAS HOT MOVING PARTS, PLEASE BE EXTRA
VIGILANT WHEN USING AROUND CHILDREN.

I agree the instructions are standard, but when you have a leaflet which covers mostly do not and very little what you could do, it stands out!

After I finished reading all this I realised that it has to be used with granulated sugar- not with coloured syrup and it produces white candy floss. My children were expecting pink coloured like in shops/market. The parts were easy to assemble and we started it quite easily. It was not very disappointing till this time.

When we started making candy floss the disappointment started building up- we had few strands up in the air, few in my hair and lot of crystallised sugar on sides of the bowl! I read the instructions again- allowed it to cool and stat again. I let the maker warm up for 5 minutes as per guidance- collected the strands on to the cones- but could not make a breakthrough!

Some floss was forming and it attached itself to the cone immediately and starts to grow very slowly. By the time you get enough to give to one child you have to rotate 20 times and feel your arms cannot do this for another 6 times! In case your child wants a few for his/her friends as well This isn't terribly easy, so you'll need some practice. If you want to do another round- you will get a short burst of floss and lot of molten crystals stuck to side of the bowl!

Cleaning up was hard as well. You get a ring of hardened brown crystallised around the edge of the bowl level with the extractor head. The bowl was hard to clean under a low kitchen tap due to large size. The head has to be cleaned when it cools down. No hard brushes are to be used.

The excitement of receiving it was more than actually using it, and its better to spend money and buy your kid a larger chunk of candy floss. Its use will also be limited to parties etc. and in parties you will have a sore arm making enough- so no use for us! This has to be used by adults - not safe to have children and animals near it while in operation.

This candy floss maker uses only white crystal sugar, no liquids to be added. I do not know if any food colouring comes in powder form, cannot add solutions like they do in a commercial candy floss maker

Candy floss produced by this machine tasted ok- but the amount was too little to be shared. I do not think its worth spending £35.00

• superstar1212 published 25/03/2007
    good review thanks
  • alleycat01 published 13/11/2006
    Definitely doesn't sound like value for money - what a shame.
  • gizmogizmo published 30/10/2006
    Love candyfloss but this sounds like a nightmare!!