Review of "Proline DVD2500"

published 14/07/2005 | marcellep
Sound Level
Ease of Use
Ease of Installation
Remote Control

"Pro is right: Professional look"

Dvd

Dvd

We got the Proline dvd2500 about a year ago as a gift from a family member; I believe that they paid about £145.00 for the DVD player. They bought it from Comet

Looks: (front)

The proline dvd2500 looks great as it is very slim and light. It's silver in colour and fits in well to the cabinet underneath all the other things we have there. There a few buttons on the front of the dvd player which I think spoil the look slightly as I feel that if there was not any buttons there it would take away the cheap look. The Lcd display is situated to the left of the front panel and is easy to see from all angels. Buttons on the front give you basic operation of the machine should you lose the remote control, You have the choice to Play, Eject, Activate the menu, Forward screens, rewind screens, and off course you can switch the machine off here too by pressing the standby button which is situated to the left of the machine.

Looks (rear)

The part that I hate to look at as I feel it just does not look right for some reason, but why do I worry as it as the rear of the machine and no one ever sees it any way. I think the reason I believe it looks strange is that it does not have a lot of connections in comparison to my other dvd player. The connections that you will find at the rear of this particular model are a:

Scart connection: Which I use to connect the dvd player direct to my TV, This is thought to be the best way to connect the player as it provides the best picture quality.

Coaxial output: connection sending digital surround sound, such as Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS, to a compatible TV or amplifier.

You will of course have the power connection here which is connected internally to the dvd; all you need to do is connect it to a power supply

I have only ever used the scart connection on this model; I have never had the need to use any other connections.

*********************************************************************

Setting the dvd player up:

I found this part very easy in comparison to my other dvd player. I simply plugged the scart lead in to the dvd player and then the other end of the scart connection to the television player. After I done that I plugged the dvd player in to the mains and then press the power button on the remote control and yippee it worked. Yes as simple as that, I was now ready to view dvd or play music disks. I was pleasantly surprised and obviously delighted just how easy the installation. I tend not to do much more when I buy a new dvd player as long as it plays dvds I am happy.

Remote Control (Mines)

The remote control is very light and small in size and has so many buttons crammed on to it. It has 31 different buttons on the control which is far too many for the size of the control. I know that we all want the control to be small but when you have a small remote control along with a very small buttons it can be difficult to operate. So what options do you have on the remote control: You have your basic commands which include standby, play, rewind, forward, stop, pause, skip scene forward and jump back a scene. In addition to this you also have the following buttons:

Menu: when you select this you will activate the on screen menu, which allow you to change features on the dvd player and to change the settings.

Title button: When you hit this button it takes you back to the beginning of your disk, E.g. if you are playing a dvd then it will take you to the main menu of the dvd and if playing a music disk it will take you to the main selection screen.

Audio: This function does not work in my remote control as I do not have a suitable television set. If I had the suitable TV then it would allow you to choose the sound that you want to listen in, E.g. pro-logic, surround sound etc

I don't like the remote control all that much purely because it has too many buttons on it and I often press the wrong button when trying to command it to do something.

Performance

I have always been happy with the performance of this dvd player when using it. The quality is good anytime I have used it. I recently done a little test on my dvd player that I have I played Harry potter in both dvd players, Here are my findings for this dvd player

I was happy with the overall quality of the dvd player performance, I would say that the dvd player provide a very sharp and detailed picture on all scenes especially in the darker scenes this dvd player done its self justice. The quality of the colour on this dvd player is super for the price and I would not have any problems with recommending the dvd player on the quality alone.

If you're like me when you watching a dvd, then the phone rings or the kids walk in and ask for a drink. Well from the remote control if you select the pause button it will freeze the scene for you for up to 15mins to which after that the dvd will stop playing and you will be shown the proline symbol on your TV. When you freeze the scene the quality is super, You can see so much details in this mode. Don't panic if the dvd player has stopped all you need to do is hit the play button and the dvd player will start from where you left off. The only time that the dvd player will not start from the scene you left off is if you switch the power off.

What it plays

Dvd region 2 only

Music Cds originals

Vcds

It also has:

3x zoom which allows you to zoom in to any picture that the dvd player is projecting (playing)

3 Different speed search options~ when rewinding or forwarding you have the choice of three different speeds

Parental control allows you to stop the children from pressing buttons on the remote control whilst you are watching a dvd

Technical Stuff

72h x 360w x 275d MM

Pal & NTSC playback region 2 only

Remote control requires 2 x triple a batteries (not supplied)

Scart lead (not supplied)

All mechanical breakdowns are covered during the first year by comet. If you need to alert them to a fault, you will find it easier to visit the store as when you phone them they promise the world but never deliver.

*********************************************************************
Overall

I would say that I am happy with the dvd player over all. The only down fall that I can find is that the remote control is terrible. It's too small and the fact that the buttons are to small is not ideal. For a basic dvd player I would say the performance is very good. I would recommend the dvd player on the quality alone but I would not recommend it to anyone that is expecting to have a top on the range dvd player. The looks and style of the dvd player are also good.

*********************************************************************

Additional info:

This model is only available from comet at a price of £11.00 now (bidding), it has been discontinued and I am now sure you will see may on eBay in the very near future.

As you will have found out from reading the above this dvd player only plays region 2. I have since got the information on how you can play all regions. I have put that below for you to:

If you follow these simple steps you will be able to play all regions

Make sure the draw is empty and closed
Press 'Power'
Press 'Menu'
Press 1,6,7, the select the region required or Press 'Mute' for all regions
Press 'Exit'
Only needs setting once

**********************************************************************

I often compared this dvd player to my other dvd, just so all know my other dvd player is Philips HTS3500S

• AJ26 published 17/08/2005
    Good review
  • christophe81 published 11/08/2005
    Good thorough reveiw - Christophe81
  • Pmshack99 published 05/08/2005
    my dvd player only cost thirty quid - it probably doesnt have anywhere near as good features as yours but i couldnt afford to spend £145 on one anyway. :-( paula x