Home > Ciao Café > Ciao Meets > Proposed Ciao Meets > Reviews

Sgathach 5

Sgathach

About me: After five years away, I've started with a very small review, I'll see how I get on!

Member since:06.12.2002

Glasgow Ciao Meet. Are you brave enough?

30.06.2006 (16.08.2006)

Advantages:
A day out

Disadvantages:
None that I can think of .

63 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
somewhat helpful by (1%):
  1. TheDuke

Glasgow Ciao Meet Saturday 19th of August 2006

°º••º°"˜¨¨˜"°º••º°"˜¨¨˜"°º••º°"˜¨¨¨˜"°º••º°"˜¨¨¨˜"°º••º°"˜¨¨˜"°º••°º

You may have noticed that it isn't a "proposed" Ciao meet this is because there are at least four of us that are definitely going, namely myself, Paul99ine, Missy0303 and Mayclair (Gina).

I know that quite a few people on Ciao have talked about proposing a Scottish meet, I'm not sure who they all are but I've heard that Belfin, Mayclair and a few others had mentioned proposing a meet.

This particular meeting came about after a very late night phone call to me from Paul99ine about a month ago, Paul99ine was sober during this phone call, unfortunately and much to her amusement I most certainly was not. However I do remember (most of) the content of the conversation. We were discussing meeting up in Glasgow as a follow-up to our previous meeting in Kyle near the Isle of Skye in April this year, we both felt that we hadn't had enough time to waffle properly to each other. It was mentioned that we could ask Missy0303 as she was in the vicinity and then we suggested to each other that perhaps other people might like to come along.

And that was that, some feelers were put out and before I knew it lots of people sounded interested. I will add a list of yes's and possibles at the end of this review and if you would like to be added to the list please let myself, Paul99ine, Missy0303 or Belfin know and we will add your names to the growing list.

I do hope lots of you will come to Glasgow, but even if it is only a few it will be great to meet you.

You can bring whomever you like with you, a partner, Children, Friend, Spouse, Lover, Dollies and Teddy bears.

Meeting Point. Time 11am
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Glasgow Central Railway Station. Information taken from the web.

Glasgow Central Station.
Gordon Street
G1 3SQ.

Meeting at the information point under the glass canopy of the main entrance in Gordon Street.

The reason for this is that as the northern terminus of the West Coast Main Line and also many of the trains from Edinburgh, Central Station is where many visitors to Glasgow will arrive.

I took this information from their web site but Paul99ine knows more about Glasgow than I do and she says that very few Edinburgh trains go into Central Station, they nearly all terminate at Queen Street, but it's only a ten minute walk and there is a shuttle bus.

The station is very central and is the larger of the two mainline railway terminals in Glasgow; the other is Queen Street, north of Central Station. There is shuttle bus between the two for rail passengers.
The Glasgow Airport Bus stops just north of the station in Hope Street that runs down the west side of Central Station.

One of Glasgow's main arteries, Argyle Street runs East-West under Central Station. From the main station concourse there is a major exit with escalators down to Argyle Street coming out by the underpass.

St Enoch's shopping centre is about 5 minutes walk away.

I have added a photograph of a map of Glasgow showing the location of Central Station.

For those of you who are traveling from afar and some indeed perhaps a flight away I have got together some hotel and accommodation information. I have

Pictures of Proposed Ciao Meets
Proposed Ciao Meets Picture 6649751 tb
Glasgow central station map.
added family rooms and single rooms where I found they were available. And information on disabled facilities where I found information.

Accommodation / Hotels
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have rearranged this review and put the list of accommodation and Hotels at the bottom as it is lengthy.

Lunch
~~~~~
Once we've met, meeted and greeted and all got confused about who everyone is (well I will anyway) I took up the suggestion from Michelle (Missy03030) and also followed in the footsteps of Dempsey_Review and Playgirl27 who for their Manchester meet opted for the nearest Wetherspoons for Lunch.

This Glasgow branch of Wetherspoons is located at The Edward Wyllie Bar Restaurant at 103-107 Bothwell Street G2 7EA. Tel: 0141-229-5480.

This is only a few streets away from Central Station and I have added below a photo of a street map which circles Wetherspoons.

I called and spoke to a member of staff at the Edward Wylie Bar to confirm that they do indeed welcome children, which they do, they also have no steps so there is disabled access and in addition they have a disabled toilet facility.

He panicked a bit, when I told him why I was asking, he thought we were arriving that day and said "what time will you be here" in a rather panicky way. LOL.

He said the bar was big enough for 30 people arriving at once. I haven't been there so I'll have to take his word for that. Anyway as far as I am aware they are a family friendly, non-expensive pub eatery, with a menu that would suit most clientele. Och well if you don't like the food you can always have a pint or a dram anyway!

I thought it might be a good idea to suggest now that we all just buy our own drinks and meals that way no-one will be worrying what the paying situation will be.

Again I have added a picture of the outside and the inside of the pub taken from the web.

After Lunch I have no idea what will happen, I suspect we will all decide for ourselves what we would like to do next, after all there are the shops all over the place round there. I myself don't know Glasgow very well, but I'm sure Missy0303 does and the same with Paul99ine and Belfin.

I will be staying in Glasgow both the Friday night and the Saturday night, so it's also feasible that some of us may decide to meet later for a glass of milk or two. LOL.

Okay so here's the list of interested parties so far; it would be nice if we had confirmation of yes's, but I understand that this may not be possible till nearer the time. Where I have been told a yes I have listed that person as a yes and the others as possibles.

If you can confirm for us yeah or nay it would be great if you could leave a message in one of our guest books or in the comment section for this review. Gathering information ciao members are myself, Paul99ine, Missy0303 and Belfin.

Sgathach - Yes-
Donf18 -Possible
Dempsey_review -Possible
Proxam - Possible
mark_southside -Yes

That's 27 so far and I know that some of you are yes's. Fantastic. Looking forward to meeting you all.

Nearer the date we will contact interested parties and give them our telephone numbers.

Go on book a holiday, come to Glasgow, have a laugh, have a giggle and go home with more friends than you arrived with, I hope I will!

Hotels and accommodation as promised.

There are a vast amount of hotels and accommodation available in Glasgow and as I can't possibly cover them all, I will list below some hotels and accommodation that are near to Glasgow Central Station along with any relevant information about them that I was able to find on the web.

First off I'll lead you to the Radisson SAS Hotel, they state probably the best hotel in vicinity of Central Station, if you are comfortable with the room rates (well there might be some rich people out there!) The web states that rooms start from £105.00 per night but on checking I was quoted £115.00 per adult per night, woooo Okay that's that one out of my price range.

It is a 4 Star hotel and is situated on Argyle Street which goes west to the main commercial district of Glasgow. The newly built Radisson has 247 beautifully designed bedrooms, two restaurants, two bars and a fitness centre with indoor pool. Rooms have internet access and safe.

This hotel is minutes walk from Central Station. Address: 301 Argyle Street, Glasgow, G2 8DL. Tel: 0141-204-3333. Let me know if you're staying there I might join you to see how posh it is.

Almost opposite the Radisson is the Alexander Thomson Hotel a 2 Star Hotel which stated on the web that rooms were from £60.00. It seems to be a basic hotel with complimentary tea/coffee, direct dial telephone, satellite channels, Iron & Ironing Board, hairdryers etc. Their rates are as follows: Well the web site said from £35.00 but on the 19th of August, these were the rates that were available:

Single B & B : £45.00 per room per night.
Double B & B : £100.00 per room per night.
Triple B & B : £75.00 per room per night.
Executive Suite: £80.00 per night.
Quad Room : £85.00 per night.
Address: 320, Argyle Street, Glasgow, Strathclyde, G2 8LY
Seemed a bit odd that the Standard Double was the most expensive room, I found out that this is because it is a "deluxe Suite".

and a little further down the road is the the Corus Hotel, a good mid-price hotel in the district. I couldn't get any availability on rooms for the 19th of August at this hotel so I won't tell you about it.

Next up is the Jury's Inn Glasgow. Address: 60-96 Jamaica St,, Glasgow, Strathclyde, G1 4QE. When I checked the prices were from £80.00 per room per night.
This hotel is adjacent to Central Station overlooking the River Clyde. It has spacious rooms, which can accommodate up to three adults or two adults and two children.
From Glasgow Central station, Exit onto Union Street and turn right - Jurys Inn is situated on the right, two blocks down.

The Quality Inn is a 2 star Hotel: Address: Gordon Street, Glasgow, Strathclyde, G1 3SF
It is described as part of Central Station buildings.

And is one of Glasgow's original hotels part of Central Station itself, right at the heart of the city centre. The hotel has family rooms and leisure facilities like a fully equipped gym and pool. Room rates:

Double: £60.00 per room, per night.
Single: £85.00 prpn.
Family (4): £ 70.00 prpn.
And er I can't read my writing the last one I've written down looks like it says "thing" £60.00 prpn. LOL. Ohh It's Twin!

The Holiday Inn Express. Address: Glasgow Riverside, 122 Stockwell Street, Glasgow, Strathclyde, G1 4LT

Rooms From: £50.

Twin: £65.00 per room per night. Inclusive of complimentary breakfast and Independent newspaper, please specify if you require smoking or non smoking. Overnight car park vouchers for King Street and the Glass House NCP are available for a small cost at reception.
Breakfast Included
Ground Floor Access, Elevator/Lift Access

Double with Sofa Bed: £65.00 per room per night. Irate includes up to 3 people, extra children £0/night)

Special twin offer: £56.00 per room per night. rate includes up to 2 people)

This hotel is east of Central Station next to the River Clyde and almost adjacent to St Enoch Shopping Centre.

*TOP PICK*

Euro Hostel Ltd
318 Clyde Street, Glasgow, Strathclyde, G1 4NR

In order to see how good this place is you really need to have a look at their website for further details about their cheap and excellent accommodation: www.activehotels.com and it's Euro Hostel Ltd, 318 Clyde Street, Glasgow. G1 4NE.

Euro Hostel Glasgow provides quality budget accommodation with en-suite facilities in the centre of Glasgow. (2 mins walk from Central Station).

They have disabled rooms available, and there is a guest kitchen where you can cook your own food.

Last one that I am going to list for you is the Glasgow Marriot, which is at 500 Argyle Street, Glasgow, Strathclyde, G3 8RR. Tel: 0141-226-55777.

Again this hotel is a short walk from Central Station. It states that it is perfectly in tune with this cosmopolitan city, the Glasgow Marriott boasts a contemporary feel with its luxury designer-style bedrooms and state of the art leisure complex. An easy stroll from the main shopping area, the hotel puts you right at the heart of the city.

The website states that prices start at £42.00 this is true as I checked it out but it does mean per person per night. So a double standard room would cost £84.00 per night for two of you. Although for this you get a king-size bed, woo hoo! LOL.

The leisure suite has the usual facilities which for most Marriots include a swimming pool, so take yer costume if you do stay here. Swimming costume of course not your cowboy outfit or Mickey Mouse fancy dress kit. Although I have to say I have been in a Marriot leisure club in a ballgown before so I'm sure they are used to it. LOL.

The nearest tube is St. Enoch's which is 0.5 miles away and Glasgow Central Station is also 0.5 miles away.

Parking at the hotel is free or so they say, it is something you will have to check wherever and if you do decide to stay in Glasgow, most of the hotels above charge a daily rate for parking or give you vouchers at a discounted price for the local car parks, so do check this detail when you book.

In addition to the above Paul99ine has suggested the University Halls of Residence. The link for the website is http://www.cvso.co.uk/accommodation/residences/res_intro.htm they have singles, twins, bed and breakfast, free parking, and some have dinner facilities. There is an enquiry form on this website.
And there is a variety of locations and maps and tons of information. I myself know nothing about halls of residence other than they could very well be a cheaper alternative to some of Glasgow's accommodation.

This Ladies and Gentlemen concludes the list of Accommodation. I hope it was of use to you.

Oh and a by the way - only one of these hotels has a review written about it on Ciao that being the Alexander Thomson Hotel and I've just been to read it and it's not favorable so best give that one a miss. None of the others have had reviews done on them so if you do stay there. Ciao's waiting for your first review!

Phew!

Sheena 2006

Write your own review Report a problem with this review’s content

torr 14.11.2013 14:26

Somehow, this one evaded me - not that I'd necessarily have managed to get there!

carcraig 24.04.2008 23:43

Just a bit miffed I wasn't active on Ciao when this happened....may be next time!!! Caroline xx

tune57 09.03.2008 23:16

Packed with important and useful information for those wishing to attend.