Punk And Poetry - King Blues (The)

Punk And Poetry - King Blues (The)

1 CD(s) - Ska - Label: Transmission - Distributor: PIAS UK/Sony DADC - Released: 18/04/2011 - 5060226272396

Review of "Punk And Poetry - King Blues (The)"

published 09/07/2012 | sympatic
Member since : 06/05/2012
Also to be found on Dooyoo with the same user name. Do not feed the trolls ;) Nice to see Ciao take action over false accusations and bullying. Still not able to rate half the time.
Pro Some angry anthems
Cons Some weak tracks
Originality
Quality and consistency of tracks
Cover / Inlay Design and Content
Lyrics

"Songs to protest to"

Released in 2011 this is the third album (I think) from The King Blues and to be honest it is pretty much more of the same stuff that was featured on their second album however they do continue to develop their music away from the original sounds they made. The two tone and reggae influences still persist however there is a harder more punky edge to some of the songs, the angry political rants still persist but there are a couple of tracks that are a little more commercial in their nature.

There are some throw away skits on the album as well which I find a bit annoying and lead singer Itch still finds time for a bit of poetry as well, some of which is quite amusing in the wry observations he brings, not least when failing to understand why a woman might need five different bottles of shampoo.

The album starts with a real crash bang whallop with the track "We are effing angry" which draws its influence from the student and worker riots provoked by the spending cuts and tuition fee increases (rather than the criminal ones this summer) and it is an angry wall of noise with some harsh lyrics to it and one to get your feet stamping. Set the World on Fire is another protest song aimed at the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and parodying the Mail reading racism of middle England.

For me these two opening tracks are in my favourite top three however for me the best track has to be Headbutt which is another fast paced track but about an infatuation with a girl, only the politics of love in this track.

Track List (taken from wikipedia)

1. "Last of the Dreamers" Jonny 'Itch' Fox 0:58
9. "Shooting Fascists" Jonny 'Itch' Fox 0:47
10. "Headbutt" Jonny 'Itch' Fox / Peter Miles 3:19
11. "Does Anybody Care About Us?" Jonny 'Itch' Fox 3:35
12. "Everything Happens for a Reason" Jonny 'Itch' Fox 3:50

There are some weak tracks on this album though, I Want You feels overly commercial and does not fit with the bands style and Does Anybody Care About Us just leaves me cold and it is not the only track. After a few listens I did find myself jumping forward with this album to the tracks I liked and when I transferred it to my ipod only some tracks made the transition, others I did not bother with. Personally it is not as good as their last album but it is not all bad as when they are good they are very good indeed.

• peteellis published 09/07/2012
    it has drum and bass and screaming vocals in the 2 songs i have heard so far.
  • sympatic published 09/07/2012
    not heard the new album yet but I guessed there were issues with it after they announced the split.
  • peteellis published 09/07/2012
    i used to go down camden lock alot years ago and itch was a regular face, i like this album but prefer "save the world, get the girl" and there new song "modern life has let me down" sounds terrible. shame.