Puss In Boots (DVD)

Puss In Boots (DVD)

Review of "Puss In Boots (DVD)"

published 13/02/2012 | mummy2harry
Member since : 12/04/2007
YAY I am finally silver! Wooo! Like books? Check out http://chicklitchloe.blogspot.com...
Pro Great animation, good story, good voice actors
Cons Hard to hear Antonio Banderas in parts
Did you enjoy it?
Story
Characters / Performances
Special Effects

"These Boots are made for Watching!"

Puss in Boots is a wanted fugitive in his hometown of San Ricardo thanks a mistake several years ago with his so-called friend Humpty Alexander Dumpty. Humpty tricked Puss into something he didn't want to do, and now Puss is paying the ultimate price. When Humpty reappears in his life complete with new cat sidekick Kitty Softpaws begging for his help to steal some magic beans from murderers Jack and Jill, and Puss decides to go along with it to make Humpty happy. When they get up the beanstalk, they decide to steal the Golden Goose but this leads to problems they didn't see coming. Will Puss be able to save San Ricardo and its residents once and for all, or is he going back to prison for the rest of his nine lives?!

Harry absolutely loved the character of Puss in Boots from the later 'Shrek' movies so when this film was able at KidsAM sessions at Vue cinemas, of course I decided to take Harry along, I rather fancied seeing it too! It's made by Dreamworks who always produce really good quality children's films so I knew we were onto a winner with this one. Although Puss is from the Shrek quadrilogy, this film is entirely a stand-alone so you can watch it without having watched any of the Shrek film as the storyline isn't at all tied in to those films. The cinema was completely packed for the Saturday morning showing, and judging by the reactions of the children coming out at the end, they'd enjoyed every minute and Harry told me he wanted to go the next day too!

Antonia Banderas reprises his role of Puss in Boots, and I'm so glad that he did this film because the character of Puss simply wouldn't be the same without his Spanish dulcet tones over it! He somehow perfectly encapsulates this cat and I couldn't imagine him sounding any other way. His voice is quite deep in parts and I did struggle to hear him over the soundtrack in parts, but for the most part it was fine and I really enjoyed listening to him perform as Puss once again. His female vocal sidekick is none other than the lovely Mexican actress Salma Hayek. I find for me she can be a bit hit and miss but I thought she was great as the blue eyes pussycat Kitty Softpaws. Her and Banderas have a good chemistry from what I heard on the film, and I think they were the perfect actors for these parts, and suited the roles really well.

Humpty Dumpty is voiced by actor Zach Galifianakis who I best know from the Hangover films as the hilarious but dim Alan. I thought he was really good as the greedy and strange Humpty, intent on stealing the magic beans and climbing the beanstalk at any cost, and making Puss pay for his running away years ago. I will say now that I didn't know who he was throughout the film, his voice wasn't as distinctive as the main stars but I liked not picturing Zach every time I heard him, I just took him as Humpty! Billy Bob Thornton was fab as the evil Jack, I did recognise his voice too. Overall though, I felt the voice cast did a really good job with the film, they all put a lot into their roles, in particular Banderas and Hayek, and I found it an easy watch in that respect.

The animation in the film was of a brilliant standard, no less than you'd expect from a company like Dreamworks to be honest, and they really did well with this one. I feel that cats could possibly have been hard to animate because of the fur and movements, but they did a really good job and the cat characters really are "cat-like". I particularly enjoyed some of the more action type scenes as well, especially the scenes with the birth of the beanstalk, a great combination of animation and soundtrack were used here to create a really great scene. As for the soundtrack, it had a great Spanish feel all the way through, the music suited each of the scene's requirements, and I loved the use of Lady Gaga's "Americano" at the end too. The story itself wasn't the strongest I've ever seen, but it makes good use of fairytale characters as we have seen utilised before in the Shrek series, and in this film we see Humpty Dumpty, Jack and Jill, and Jack from Jack and the Beanstalk, but manages to make sure Puss and Kitty are the main characters on show here.

I really did enjoy watching this film, and even though I felt it had a bit of a slow start that took a little too long for my liking to get going, especially for a children's film, it took off well and by the end, I was enjoyed every minute. There are a few jokes in there just for the grown ups that will fly over the head of the younger audience, but are much appreciated by the grown ups having to sit through it too. A good story, loveable main characters and plenty going on ensures the target audience are well catered for, and I have to say the humour was aimed perfectly too, with Harry laughing out loud throughout, he really did find it funny which was great. It's a great off spin off film from a successful franchise that really does work well alone too, and if you have children aged 4 and over, then I'm sure they will enjoy Puss In Boots, we certainly did, and I'm sure it'll be making its way into our DVD collection sometime soon!

Directed by Chris Miller
Written by Charles Perrault and Wililam Davies
Certificate: U
Running Time: 90 minutes

Main Cast:
Antonio Banderas ... Puss in Boots (voice)
Salma Hayek ... Kitty Softpaws (voice)
Zach Galifianakis ... Humpty Dumpty (voice)
Billy Bob Thornton ... Jack (voice)
Amy Sedaris ... Jill (voice)
Constance Marie ... Imelda (voice)

The DVD is due for release on 2nd April 2012, although no price has yet been set (February 2012).

Thank you for reading.

• mumsymary published 13/02/2012
    my granddaughter would like this
  • supersonic75 published 13/02/2012
    Superb review my boys want to see this x
  • mozzie76 published 13/02/2012
    i would like to see this film