Pyrex Classics Measure Jug

Pyrex Classics Measure Jug

Review of "Pyrex Classics Measure Jug"

published 15/08/2011 | Thehonesttruth
Member since : 26/05/2004
Ciao Confessions - Every review of mine with an overall E rating, I've written whilst drunk and don't remember writing in the morning. Is that good or bad?
Pro Will last you years
Cons The markings do fade over time

"Pyr-excellent quality."

I've always been a pretty keen cook, and one of the items that has been around in my kitchen the longest is my Pyrex measuring jug. I must have had this now ever since I first moved out on my own at 17, and I'm now 29. Given that this jug gets used on a almost daily basis for various kitchen tasks, this alone should stand as a testament to the quality and durability of this jug.

You can get these in various sizes - I personally have a nice 1 litre size, in glass. Plastic versions are available, but I have always liked the solid, reliable feel of having the heavy glass jug in my hand. The jug looks pretty basic - thick clear glass walls, with simple markings going up the side, marking off measurements in millilitres, fluid ounces, and increments of a pint (1/4, 1/2 etc).

Naturally, the clear glass sides are a great advantage in getting an accurate measurement, as you can easily see when your ingredients have reached the line marking off the required amount. The handle of the jug is comfortably shaped, easily enough room for even the biggest of hands to get a good tight grip, and with a handy thumb sized indentation in the top of the handle that I find makes my grip all the more secure.

The spout is relatively snub and short, but pours well, and I find the jug a nice size for scrambling eggs, mixing pancake batter, and for scooping out small portions of soup to be blended - a hand blender fits into the jug quite nicely.

I've never dropped my jug from a height, but it has been bashed and banged about and treated roughly, and really shows no signs of wear and tear, perhaps a couple of very small scratches, and some slight dulling of the glass. The only real sign of its age is the fact that some of the red writing has begun to fade, but it is still visible enough for me to be able to see what I am doing.

This jug is oven, freezer, microwave and dishwasher safe. I've never put it into the freezer myself, but have used it in both the oven and the microwave before. The glass does get very hot when used in this way though, so you will need to use oven gloves.

Overall, this is a quality bit of kit that no kitchen should be without. It has never discoloured, nor has it retained any odours and flavours from any food, and aside from the red painted markings faded slightly, this is still just as good as the day I got it. The jug comes with a ten year guarantee against manufacturer defects.

My jug is 12 years old. I see no reason why I won't be using exactly the same jug in another twelve years. These are available to buy in most supermarkets and in any good cookware shop, and depending on size can range from around £4 to a little under £9. An excellent product, 5 stars .

• neenn published 16/08/2011
    Mine is almost as old as yours!!
  • jo-1976 published 15/08/2011
    Every kitchen needs a pyrex jug or two! x
  • mumsymary published 15/08/2011
    They go on and on giving good use for many years