Review of "Pyrex Glass Jug"

published 06/08/2011 | Myredpip
Member since : 18/01/2011
Live for today because tomorrow never comes x
Pro Everything
Cons None
Ease of Use

"It will probably out live you!"

Here we have a product that, in my opinion every kitchen should have. I actually have two of these on the go at the moment, they are very handy things to have around the kitchen and to be honest I couldn't manage without at least one of them.

~Will they live longer than me?~

I have been using my Pyrex glass jugs for quite a while, the reason I have 2 of these jugs is simply because I have had one forever, then when my husband and I moved in together he bought his with him. Now just as an example of durability and longevity of these jugs, my husband and I have been living together for about 15 years, now that's what I call durable and long lasting, taking into consideration that neither of our jugs were new when we got together. So if you were to decide whether or not it was worth your while purchasing one of these jugs, I think you now have your answer.
~My Pyrex jugs are used all the time or at least one of them is~

Instant gravy is one of the main things I use the jug for, which requires me to use boiling water straight from the kettle. Another favorite with these jugs is instant custard, so again I need to use boiling water. These jugs will withstand any high temperatures, the Pyrex glass they are made from is extremely tough and very strong. I can use the jugs in the microwave to heat sauces etc. up, if (unlike me) you have a dish washer then it is fine to put these jugs in. But washing these jugs by hand is no hassle, they always come up nice and clean. My Pyrex jugs are showing some signs of wear now, but after 15 or so years I would expect this anyway, but after saying that, I can still read all the measurements that are written up the sides of the jugs, they haven't worn away at all.
~Handy measurements~

My Pyrex glass jugs are both 500ml/1 pint jugs, which I think is an excellent size and probably the most commonly used by the average household. I have one which is clear with red measurements and one that is a dark brown semi-transparent with white measurements. The measurements the jugs display are mls/pint etc. fluid ozs and cups. I find the idea of showing cup measurements very useful, as personally I'm never sure just exactly how much a cup is, there are lots of different size cups so I am unsure when cookery books say 1 to 2 cups of...whatever. But with these jugs that isn't a problem.
~As good now as they've always been~

I am very impressed with these jugs, in fact I'm impressed with Pyrex full stop and would go as far to say I would buy any kitchen product such as bowls, casserole dishes, jugs etc. knowing it was made of Pyrex. I trust it 100% and would therefore be more than happy to recommend these jugs to any one. I really couldn't tell you what I paid for my jug all those years ago, not that it matters, what does matter though is the fact you can pick these great little jugs up from more or less any supermarket and loads of different places online, they cost around the £4.00 mark for a 500ml jug.

I have to give 5 stars for the Pyrex Glass Jug, they are really useful things to have and just seem to last forever.

Thank you for reading my review which may also be posted on other sites.

• marshall1993 published 06/08/2011
    Theres a pyrex jug in our kitchen, my mom's, shes had it longer than I've been alive! It's always been there for stirring instant jelly crystals, custard, measuring for baking. :D
  • moistbabe published 06/08/2011
    I need something like this. At the moment I am using a couple of horrible plastic jugs, which melted in the dish washer and are so old you can hardly read the measurements on them x
  • catsholiday published 06/08/2011
    I'm still using my mother's old one!