Review of "Pyrex Glass Jug"

published 21/08/2011 | jillycat
Member since : 04/03/2011
Having baby tomorrow 13th April so will catch up on rates on my return xx
Pro Copes well with lots of temperatures robust and lasts a long time
Cons I would of liked a 100ml starting point for measuring
Ease of Use

"A great jug for your cooking needs"

I have had my Pyrex jug more years than I care to remember and it is still as good as the day I got it, the Jug I have is the 1 litre version however it is also available in a 500ml version too.

Pyrex is made from borosilicate glass this is a special blend of components that are heated to very high temperatures and melted to form glass. What this means is that Pyrex is suitable for all types of cooking be it oven or microwave and it can withstand temperatures of 300 degrees. Equally it can cope with cold temperatures making it suitable for the fridge and freezer too. Pyrex also doesn’t take on any strong flavors or smell unlike some plastics so one day you can be heating a fish dish up and the next you can be cooking custard and the there is never any taint from the stronger smelling and tasting food and this has certainly been my experience of using this jug.

The jug has lines marking the measurements on both sides of the body of the jug meaning it is nice and easy for both left handed and right handed people to use this as they hold on to the jug and see what the measurements are without any problems.

I find it slightly irritating that the first level to be shown is 200 mls as I would have preferred a 100 mls then 50 mls going upwards as this is often a measure I need in some of my recipes for example the Welsh rabbit muffins I make. This means I end up either guessing or filling part of my jug up with level table spoons and then using the level for the next ingredient that I add to bring things to the total volume needed.

One of the things that I do like about this jug is how well it works in all of my kitchen appliances it is able to be used in the microwave which means it is great for heating up soup or beans that can then be poured out into bowls for serving. Equally when it is in the dishwasher none of the lines for the measuring quantities have come scratched or faded in anyway. The inside of the jug also doesn’t take scratches on either. I have found this also to be the case when using a whisk inside the jug to make Yorkshire puddings that the whisk leaves no scratches even if I use my electric one.

The jug I find pours very well and it is easy to direct the contents without any problems at all. There are often a few drips left down the side of the jug once you have finished pouring but this seems to be more as I lift it upwards rather than it having a leaky spout.

Overall I would definitely recommend Pyrex jugs they are very robust and hard wearing and capable of being used in all manner of cooking. My only gripe with my litre jug is that it doesn’t start measuring till 200mls so I probably should invest in a smaller jug that does this. A litre jug currently retails around £4.99 from Tesco.

• LadyValkyrie published 28/08/2011
    I swear by Pyrex too.
  • JAVER1967 published 22/08/2011
    Excellent review - Pyrex has always been popular in our household.
  • arnoldhenryrufus published 22/08/2011