Review of "Pyrex Multipurpose Reheat Plate"

published 24/03/2012 | daisyleex
Member since : 24/05/2011
Pro Versatile, durable, affordable
Cons None
Ease of Use

"My £1 pyrex bargain! Versatile, durable & SO handy!"

Pyrex is a brand that has been around for absolutely years and after owning a wide range of their products I can say hand on heart that the quality of their kitchen appliances and so on are of exceptional quality and really do deserve all the hype they can get! This particular Pyrex purchase was a bit of a random one to be honest and I purchased it in early 2011. I had an appointment in town and popped into my local Sainsburys quickly for a sandwich, and came across these plates in the sale isle priced at an absolute bargain price of £1 each - so I picked up two and happily handed over my money to the cashier - I was, and still am, over the moon with my bargain pyrex dishes. I am unsure of the RRP, however various websites and shops sell these for anything from £3-£5 excluding postage which although is more than I paid, still very reasonable considering the quality and durability. These plates are made from durable, heat resistant glass and are able to endure temperatures of upto 300 degrees - which is great at my oven goes upto 250 so my mind is at rest it won't melt the plate or anything lol. The plates are also fine to be used in the microwave and can be washed in the dishwasher. They're also safe to be placed in the freezer which is incredibly handy.

Physically, the plates are plain but don't look too basic - they don't look cheap or anything and because they're simply clear glass they go with absolutely any colour scheme/kitchen decor, and don't clash with other kitchen appliances. The plates are generous in size and measure 25cm, around the same size as a normal dinner plate. In fact they're identical to a normal dinner plate; round, etc, the only difference being the fact they're made of glass and are very sturdy and durable. The main purpose that I use these plates for is heating up food. My boyfriend works all the hours God sends and stays at my house regulary as he's in the process of decorating his lovely new house. He often comes round really late, for example the other night he came to see me at 9pm but as he'd let me know he'd be coming I plated him some dinner up and put it in the fridge on one of these plates. Just before 9 I popped the plate into the microwave and it was warm for when he got home.

It was really handy not having to transfer the food from one plate to another (eg from a non microwavable dish to a microwavable dish) and I also like that it has lots of other purposes. Another thing I use this for is as an oven dish - for example if I am cooking salmon in the oven and it doesn't need a big tray to go on I will just wrap it in some foil and stick it onto one of these dishes. I will then unwrap it from the foil and transfer it onto another plate to eat. You can't eat off one of these plates when it's straight out of the oven though as it gets very hot and stays hot for a reasonably long time - over an hour - after use. If, however, you do want to eat the food straight off the plate as perhaps all of your other plates are dirty, then you could just wrap a kitchen towel around it to insulate the heat and not burn your skin or any furniture. Also, because it does hold onto heat, be careful when removing it from the dish washer as it takes a while to cool down.

As I mentioned briefly above, the plates are also safe to go into the freezer which is handy when plating up spare dinners - this prevents us from wasting them as we can just stick the food onto one of these, place some foil over it and put it in the freezer. The plates do (obviously) get really cold but don't go as icy as ceramatic plates - I like this as I usually feel like the moisture from the ice on the plate melts and makes the food soggy where as with these there is no noticeable ice on them. The places are also non-stick so handy when warming up something gooey such as lasagne etc. The plates are strong and durable and I actually dropped one the other day while loading the dishwasher. It didn't break, in fact I could swear it bounced a little! I also like that when eating off one of these it doesn't make any clanging noises when I put the knife/fork onto the plate like a lot of ceramatic dishes do so that is another plus. Despite how durable and solid the plates are they're not heavy at all. Overall I reccomend these plates and am pleased that I got such a bargain! Even at the RRP they are good value for money as they're long lasting, durable, and very, very handy! I award these dishes a well deserved five out of five stars.

• Coloneljohn published 04/04/2012
    I'd like some of these. John
  • Nar2 published 24/03/2012
    I just use conventional plates, or the lids of Pyrex casserole sets - another great Pyrex product!