Qualcast HM370

Qualcast HM370

Powered Hedge Trimmers - Mains / Corded operated - Two Way Cutting - Cutting Length: 37 cm

Review of "Qualcast HM370"

published 24/06/2010 | petrolheadguru
Member since : 18/06/2010
Pro Easy to use robust but lightweight
Cons Watch out for the electric cable use in dry only & have RCD safety plug
Performance
User's Manual
Maintenance

"Qualcast Hedgemaster 370 Hedgetrimmer"

We bought a house that was in a mess in 2007,a real nightmare! The garden was so overgrown I expected to see WW2 crashed fighter planes buried in the undergrowth,a real jungle.The old lady who owned the property had obviously not touched the garden in years and years,at the front a huge conifer bigger than the house threatened its foundations.It has conifer hedges all around at the back that are about 5ft wide and 10ft high.

Described by the estate agent as nothing a chainsaw could put right,the garden was once upon a time lovely,but now trees and bushes were growing into each other fighting for light,the summer house in the corner was huge,good enough to use as a small workshop.I had to clear loads and loads of rubbish and at times wondered if it would ever end?

Rooting around in the summer house I uncovered some useful garden tools and to my suprise there was a Qualcast Hedgemaster 370 hedge trimmer minus a plug,soon fitted one and away we go! I guess it was 4 or 5 years old and doubt if it had seen much action in this garden,so looked quite new.

The big conifer out front needed removal and I called in a professional gardner to do the job,also persuaded him to remove some of the bushes around the back of the property to let some light in so we could see what we bought.Well worth the £200 I paid him,he even cleared all the mess up and took it away,a great deal.

I decided armed with my new toy,the Hedgemaster 370,I would tackle the hedges around the back.I had never used one before,our last houses had fences or stone walls and my parents house had privit hedge we used to cut by hand every few weeks!
It always makes me a bit nervous operating machinery that could do you serious harm so cautiously I lifted it up and tried it out.

Its a lightweight easy to handle affair with a built in plastic guard moulded as part of the body to protect your left hand (I am right handed but left handed people could use this no problem).You hold it with your right hand at the back and press down the long black "on" button/lever thats part of the grip of the handle but it will not work unless you are pressing down the safety,a large "T" shaped lever you press down on the right hand grip nearer to the front just behind the protective guard.

Its noisey as you would expect,the 2 foot or so long blades shaped like teeth move back and forth to cut.Just glides around without any effort,much easier than using old fashioned shears!It can handle quite thick pieces of branch,half inch or so without effort,remember its a trimmer and not a chainsaw.Never force it to do anything,you may slip,if it requires effort then leave that bit and saw it later.I use it with a safety RCD plug,just in case I accidently cut the electric cable! You have to take care but the cable is bright orange and stands out well against the green of the hedge.

I have used my "Free" Qualcast Hedgemaster 370 for three years now and my hedges have started to recover well after years of neglect.A neat trim 3 or 4 times a year is all they have needed and with this tool the job is easy,done in a few hours or so from start to finish.By hand it would take all day long and never look as neat,straight edges are much easier to achieve! I rate this 10/10,the blades seem fine to me and will last years,I would buy one tomorrow if this one packs up.

Hope this review was useful and please take the time to rate it for me,much appreciated.I have other reviews on Ciao and on the DooYoo website,thanks for looking!

• bexx0907 published 24/06/2010