Quorn Lasagne

Quorn Lasagne

Ready Meals

Review of "Quorn Lasagne"

published 05/01/2012 | VampirePrincessLizzy
Member since : 08/02/2006
Hello :)
Pro Easy to dish up and cook, tasty, Low Fat
Cons None really - Just don't microwave
Taste
Smell
Product Quality
Packaging

"Tasty Quorn Lasagne "

Front of Packaging

Front of Packaging

As you can tell from reading my reviews I’m a huge fan of Quorn products. Not only does it make being a vegetarian that more simple, they make meals and products that a tasty and healthier than a good many on the market.

Quorn Low Fat Lasagne 300g:

‘An everyday favourite made healthier. Tasty layers of pasta & Quorn Mince in a herby tomato sauce, topped with creamy Béchamel sauce & cheese’

My Findings:

If you do purchase Quorn products you will notice they have started to do more ‘low fat’ options. Quorn being an overall low in fat product anyway, I think is now better for the more health conscious folk among us. Now the New Year is in, it is back to the old diet and things like this help me so much.

To cook this meal could not be easier you have the option of microwave or oven. I have cooked this using both methods but you really can not beat how this tastes when cooked in the oven. If you wish to microwave this meal then it will take 8 minutes (based on 850w) remembering to pierce the film lid first.

The plastic tray is rather hot when taking it out of the microwave so I would use a tea towel to help. I noticed that the plastic tray is not as firm once it has been heated so grab the tray at both ends to avoid any mishaps. In my opinion I don’t favour this way of cooking it as the pasta sheets go like rubber, and it is not a nice texture in my mouth when chewing. Even the mince within the mix seem to also go a little rubbery.

To oven cook it does take a lot longer to cook but I promise you very much worth that extra time. You need to remove film lid place on a baking tray in a pre-heated oven for 40 minutes at 200c. If your oven is fan assisted like mine you need to reduce your cooking time by 5 minutes. I always find this is perfect at the 35 minute mark. Again very hot when removing it from the oven, however the product comes away easily using a fish slice to place on your plate. I normally serve this with a small portion of steamed vegetables.

Once cooked you can smell the richness of the sauce, the tomato sauce is sweet and you can taste hints of pepper which is absolutely gorgeous. The pasta sheets are soft not rubbery like when cooked in a microwave. I think the béchamel sauce could be a little stronger however it complements the tomato sauce beautifully. I like the fact they don’t overpower one another, you can taste both of them nicely.

The quorn mince is also soft and I think another flavour that will stand out again not taking away from the other flavours within the mix. This really is heaven on a plate for me; you do get a large portion in my opinion so to bulk this meal you would only need a small salad or a small portion of vegetables at the most.

Packaging on this product is typical Quorn style now with its orange and white packaging. You have a cardboard case with holds the meal inside on a plastic tray, all of which is recyclable once empty and clean.

Allergy Advice:
Contains - Celery, Egg, Milk, Barley & Wheat Gluten.

Produced in a factory which handles nuts

Nutritional Information:

Of which saturates – 3.9g

Fibre – 4.5g

Sodium – 0.6g

Price and Availability:

You can get this from time to time on offer in Asda for only £1.00, so when I see this I normally get a few to stock in my freezer. However many supermarkets do stock this product and normal price is around £1.99.

Overall:

As you can guess I’m a huge fan of this meal, one thing for me not being very mobile at times this is great to just stick in the oven and I don’t have to stand around cooking from scratch. It is a healthier option than eating a normal lasagne so great for people that are watching there weight. It tastes wonderful and I would recommend to all that find is appealing to give this a try.

Five out of five stars from me.

Thank you for reading.

Additional Information:

Some people that may not know about Quorn may find this interesting -

www.quorn.co.uk/About-Quorn/

www.quorn.co.uk/why-quorn

Ingredients –

Tomato sauce (water, Quorn Mince, (11%) [mycoprotein*, rehydrated free range egg white, roasted barley malt extract], tomatoes, modified maize starch, onion, mushrooms (1.7%), carrots (1.5%), tomato purée, vegetarian red wine, mushroom paste, celery, white wine vinegar, sugar, vegetarian medium fat hard cheese, vegetable bouillon (salt, yeast extract, potato maltodextrin, sugar, palm fat, flavourings, garlic), sun dried tomato purée (sunflower oil, sundried tomatoes, wine vinegar, sugar, salt, herbs, pepper), vegetable oil, wheat flour, garlic purée, flavouring, basil, roasted barley malt extract, oregano, pepper, ground bay, Béchamel sauce (water, skimmed milk, skimmed milk powder, whipping cream, modified maize starch, vegetarian Cheddar cheese, wheat flour, potassium chloride, black and while pepper), cooked egg pasta (durum wheat, semolina, whole free range egg powder). vegetarian Red Leicester cheese (2%). *10% of product

• louisechackett published 07/01/2012
    Looks quite nice x
  • ladybracknell published 07/01/2012
    I've not tried this one. It sounds delicious.
  • Jake_Speed published 06/01/2012
    Sooper review. I make a mean vegetarian Lasagne with Quorn mince but I haven't tried these prepared ones yet. Sound pretty good.