Quorn Lasagne

Quorn Lasagne

Ready Meals

Review of "Quorn Lasagne"

published 03/03/2014 | xxfoxyredxx
Member since : 01/10/2006
Reviews : 2005
Am currently popping loads of reviews on here from Dooyoo before that site crashes out completely! Happy to read and rate reviews as always....Christmas is a coming for all us all too soon eh! x Melanie x
Good
Pro Meat free, very filling it onlandy contains 3.0g of saturated fat
Cons Slighty chewing Quorn mince, sloppy when microwaved
Taste
Smell
Product Quality
Packaging

"Meat free sloppy looking lasagne!"

Living on my own means that sometimes I simply can't be bothered to cook for myself, its different if I have friends, family or my gorgeous man about then I will by all means but cooking for one at times just seems a chore.

I am not Vegetarian but mainly I eat a Veggie based diet with a bit of meat in it and could quite happily live on fruit and vegetables and never eat meat again, I'm simply just not all that fussed about it which means if I see meat free products when I'm put doing my shopping the chances are that I will buy that.

Quorn, I find to be a very decent brand and I have dabbled with rather a few things from the range over the years. I recently spotted this Quorn Lasagne and was going to buy a meat based one at the same price as this but I opted for this over that in the end and it cost me only a pound in Iceland which I thought was terrific value for money.

The Packaging:

The Lasaagne itself comes in a black plastic tray with a see through plastic cover over the top of it and it comes in a mainly white and orange coloured box and on the front of it there is a photograph of a the lasagne of there are we are clearly told that it is Quorn Lasagne 'Your favourite Lasagne made healthier with tasty meat free Quorn mince' and that it is low in fat and contains just 273 calories and there is an at a glance nutritional chart shown then on the back of the box other information listed includes ingredients and allergy advice being given, there is a full nutritional chart displayed, cooking advice is listed as is the size stated which is 300g and contact details for the manufacturer are given. Nice enough and informative box this is.

The Meal:

When I got the meal out it was frozen (you are best to cook this from frozen by the way) it looked anemic and really rather flat and boring looking. I had to decide between oven cooking it for about 40 minutes or to pop it in the microwave for 8 minutes and because I was hungry I put it in the microwave. Next time I have this though I will bake it in the oven so that it goes firmer and brown to the top of it though and not be so lazy!

So what I got was a delicious smelling lasagne that looked soggy and a really sloppy mess on my plate and it really didn't look very big a portion at all and none to appertising either but I plodded on and teamed it up with a nice fresh salad.

Although it looked a right mess taste wise though this is great and more filling than it looks. You get three layers of pasta covered with a thickish white bechamel sauce that has a slight taste of cheese to it and Quorn mince mixed with tiny slithers of onion and tomatoes and that mix is seasoned nicely and has hints of oregano, basil and garlic to in flavour. The pasta tastes ok, not all that flavoursome really but the bolognaise sort of flavour this has going on to it perks it up a lot but when microwaved this could do with less bechamel sauce cos it makes it all so sloppy.

So taste wise I like this, but appearance wise when microwaved I certainly do not but hey like I said earlier I will be buying this again cos the flavours are great, well balanced and its a healthy meal and it shall go in the oven and see if it fairs better thit en!

Available in all good supermarkets etc.

This review is also posted on Dooyoo under this same username.

• AnneLorraine1 published 03/03/2014