Quorn Lasagne

Quorn Lasagne

Ready Meals

Review of "Quorn Lasagne"

published 22/11/2014 | xd-o-n-z-x
Member since : 13/02/2014
After almost a year off, I'm back!! Looking forward to reading all of your reviews - thank you for all the rates - very much appreciated!! :)
Satisfactory
Pro lasagne fans may like it
Cons chewy mince, sweet tomato sauce
Taste
Smell
Product Quality
Packaging

"~ * Not For Me * ~"

I recently did a big shop in Iceland (somewhere I hardly ever go, usually only aroun Christmas time) as I decided it was probably time I stocked up the freezer ready for winter. I’m a vegetarian and I quite like Quorn, the vegetarian range.I like Quorn products (Hot dog sausages, scotch eggs and ham). So when I spotted this Quorn Lasange, I couldn’t wait to try it. Never liking meat, ever since I was a kid (although strangely I loved McDonald’s cheeseburgers – not anymore!!), I’d never tried ‘real lasagne’. Being a vegetarian, I had tried vegetable lasagne which I absolutely loved and so I was excited to see what this Quorn one would be like.

For those of you who don’t know Quorn products are very similar to to meat products; so the products have a meaty look and a meaty texture – something which always baffles me as I think that if you are a vegetarian, then perhaps some of the reasons are because you don’t like the texture of meat etc. One of the main reasons why I am a vegetarian is that I don’t like the texture (and the thought of eating a dead animal). However, when I saw this lasagne in Iceland – at just £1, I couldn’t wait to give it a go.

The lasagne is easy to cook; it can be cooked straight from frozen. Simple peel off the plastic lid and then pop it in the oven for 40 minutes and ta-da it’s done. So it’s very easy and convenient – just pop it in the oven and you can do something for 40 minutes whilst it cooks, so you don’t have to keep watching it or stirring it etc which is good.

Looking at the lasagne, it is a good sized portion. I have never tried ‘proper’ beef lasagne before, only veggie ones (which I love), so I was curious to see how this one would match up to my favourite Marks and Spencer’s meditereanean vegetable lasagne. Instead of using minced beef, Quorn use a vegetarian alternative called Mycroprotein which is part of the fungi family. To be honest there was not a lot of ‘mince’ in this lasagne and what there was, I found to be quite chewy. The pasta sheets were dry and rubbery and didn’t seem to mix well with the sauce. The creamy sauce was ok, but the tomato sauce was far too sweet for my liking. I was expecting something a bit more savoury. There ware hardly any vegetables in it either. Perhaps I expected there to be chunks of vegetables as I am so used to vegetable lasagne, so I was a bit disappointed to discover that this was all dry, rubbery pasta and chewy ‘mince’. Overall, I was not impressed and found the whole thing to be very bland, apart from the bits of ‘too-sweet-tomato-sauce’.

Ingredients: Béchamel Sauce (40%) [Water, Milk Protein, (Milk Proteins, Vegetable Fat, Lactose), Modified Starch, Wheat Flour, Butter, Vegetarian Medium Fat Hard Cheese, Salt, Nutmeg, White Pepper], Tomato Sauce (Water, Quorn Mince (10%) [Mycoprotein*, Rehydrated Free Range Egg White, Roasted Barley Malt Extract], Tomatoes, Tomato Purée, Onion, Vegetarian Red Wine, Modified Starch, Garlic Purée, Vegetable Oil, Cream, Yeast Extract, Wheat Flour, Salt, Basil, Oregano, Black Pepper), Cooked Free Range Egg Pasta (Durum Wheat Semolina, Whole Free Range Egg), Vegetarian Cheddar Cheese (1.0%) [Cheese (with Colour: Annatto; Starch], *9% of product

So all in all, I would not recommend this Quorn lasagne. Although, having said that, lasagne fans may like it.

Thanks for reading!
November 2014
xd-o-n-z-x

• Candyperfumegirl published 27/11/2014
    Vh
  • buzios published 24/11/2014
    Sounds awful
  • LiveMusicLoverLyn published 23/11/2014
    Not tried this, now won't bother! VH thanks. I often treat myself to a veggie Lasagne when go out for a meal. One of the pubs near me does a scrummy spinach and mushroom, hmm, yumm, now I must get some more reviews written so I can go there again soon!