babajane3... 4

babajane32

Member since:01.01.1970

let's not mince words

07.02.2003

Advantages:
no gristle or fat,or dead animals

Disadvantages:
price

54 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. armstr56
  2. maz2909
  3. Chosen

Although I am not a vegetarian,I have discovered the delights of using minced quorn,a meat free alternative to minced beef or pork.
It has become such a part of my weekly cooking and with several advantages,that I thought I'd like to shate it with those of you out there that have not yet discovered thie product.

So,What is Quorn?

Quorn is made from a mushroom protein that is produced naturally called mycoprotein.
Available in a variety of guises, mince,cubes and assorted burgers or ready meals, it is a meat free alternative.

Why so good?

Although I am not a vegetarian, I am aware of the fact that this product is a great replacement for dead animals, and in this has many good points.
For those of us who are less concerned on the moral stand point it still has huge benifits.Quite apart from the fact that I enjoy a meal so much more if I am gaurenteed not to end up with a mouth full of fat or gristle(something that has long since put me off traditional minced beef),it has health benifits in the fact that it is high in fibre and protein,but very low in fat.

Uses

Now, down to the practicalities of minced Quorn.Available frozen or fresh,I usually buy the 300g frozen bag.
It's amazingly handy,as it can be cooked from frozen,and fairly quickly.
Throwing into such dishes as sheppards pie,lasagne,spaggeti bolognaise and chilli con carne has the best results and if added along with some sort of stock cube or flavouring,produces a substitute that is just about undetectable as a substitute.I have served it to over a dozen people without any of then realising it was not meat!!

Cost and availability

At between £1.79 and £1.99,the frozen minced quorn is available from all major supermarkets.
Although this cost may seem a tad on the expensive side, it is for a 300g bag(ample to feed my family of 5),and it is regularly on offer.In the last 12 months at least one of the major supermarkets have offered it in thier BOGOF (buy one get one free) offers,at all times.Hence I have actually only paid a maximum of 99p a bag this year ,and my freezer is heavily stocked!!

Technical data

Ingrediants;
Mycoprotein(88%),rehydrated egg white(free range),roasted barley malt extract.

Nutritional info;
Fat 2g
-of which sturates- 0.5g
Fibre 6g
Sodium 0.2g

**No artificial colours or peservatives**
**GM free**
**Vegetarian society approved**

Packaging

The frozen version of this product comes in a smallish polethyne bag,just big enough to contain the contents (no wasteful size there!!).
The bag is white with orange and breen printing on the fron and depicts a tasty looking dish.
A great deal of information is printed on the back or the bag.
Unfortunately I could find no recycled information on the packaging..and in veiw of the healthy and enviromental implications of using this product,I was a little dissapointed at this.

Contact deatils

Qorn information service(free recipe ideas too)
Quorn freepost SEA 4093,
Croydon CR2 6UZ.
Freephone (UK only) 0800174966

If you are dissatisfied with this product.
Consumer Services Department,
Marlow Foods Ltd.,Station Road,
Stokesly,North Yorkshire TS9 7AB.

Web site
www.quorn.com

Summery

This is a healthy alternative to meat,and suites a great many recipies.
The texture is similar to a coarse ground mince.And although a few people will tell the difference,I've only find they can if you tell them what they're eating!!!
Although the price can be a little higher than the cost of minced beef for example,I consider it great value for money due to its benifits and a 300g bag is ample for meal for around 5 people Would I recomend it?..Yes,definately.

**!!**!!** ADDITIONAL INFORMATION**!!**!!**
i have decided to add a little on to the end of this op.A couple of comments left me have suggested that there may be a small risk of allergy to this product.Please not it does contain a small amount of egg white.

maz2909 21.10.2005 13:15

One of my friends whilst eating this commented that it was much better than that vegetrarian c**p! Enjoyed telling him what is was when he finished, love the product and great review

clairesolo 11.02.2005 18:16

I'm not a veggie either but I do like putting this in my home made lasagne as it's not as stodgy as regular mince. great op - Claire

latitia 10.07.2004 16:33

I am not a veggie myself but my partner i. I still eat meat and my daughter does too but if she decides she wants to become a veggie I will support her. I love the quorn products as it means we can all enjoy the same family meals such as shepherds pie and chillie concarne, we still even have our curry on a Friday night with the Quorn chicken like peices, try it with pataks curry paste mmmmmm mouth watering as I type. : )