Quorn Red Leicester & Onion Sausage

Quorn Red Leicester & Onion Sausage

Quorn

Review of "Quorn Red Leicester & Onion Sausage"

published 11/06/2011 | ryeb
Member since : 02/06/2011
Thanks for all the reads and rates, they are all appreciated x
Pro Look tasty, good meaty texture,quick to cook.
Cons Not cheesy.
Taste
Smell
Product Quality
Packaging

"Not so cheesy Quorn Red Leicester & Onion Sausages"

I always like to try different vegetarian foods, especially at a bargain price! So I was delighted to see these sausages available for £1.00 a packet in Morrisons. I found these in the chiller cabinet with the other vegetarian foods that are sometimes called "meat substitute products" eg Veggie "chicken" slices.

The packaging features the usual bright Quorn logo and an inviting looking picture of the cooked sausages. The pack size is 250g which contains 5 sausages packed neatly into a black plastic tray. I think it's a shame it's so difficult to find somewhere to recycle this type of tray, but it is compact enough to slip easily into a well- stocked fridge! I was pleased to see that they are made with free-range rather than battery eggs. The use of any egg at all does rule them out for vegans though. The main ingredient is Quorns's usual mycroprotein.

My first impression on opening the pack was that they are are quite chunky, good sized sausages, rather pale in colour but not unlike the meat kind.
These sausages can be cooked by shallow frying [10 mins], under the grill [8 mins], in the oven [16 mins], or on the barbeque [10 mins]. I have tried them in the oven. I thought this would be a healthy way to cook as it just involves brushing the sausages with a little oil. An appetising, savoury aroma began to waft through the kitchen about half way through the cooking time, which is when they need to be turned. At the end of the cooking time, they had developed a tasty looking, fairly dark brown colour. I think that in this respect they are superior to some other vegetarian bangers which can look unappealingly anaemic even when well cooked.

I thought they had a flavoursome, meaty taste, very close to a real good quality sausage. They were also nicely seasoned. However, I could only detect the slightest hint of onion and none at all of the Red Leicester cheese which is disappointing. On cutting one open, I could see orange flecks of cheese inside but that's no good if you can't taste them. I thought the texture was smooth and succulent and not at all dry or rubbery. I had mine in a burger bun with a tomato sauce - 2 did the trick in filling me up with the help of a side salad.

The sausages can be frozen [uncooked]. I will certainly try that next time I buy them as it means they can be kept for up to 3 months rather than a few weeks. This does mean they would take a few extra minutes to cook though.

Overall, I would happily eat them again as despite a lack of the advertised flavours, they are still a nice tasting food. I'd also serve them to meat eaters who I'm sure wouldn't find them lacking in taste. I would recommend them to anyone who is looking for a good value snack food that is quick and easy to cook. If you really want a cheesey sausage though, I think the taste is too weak to satisfy you!

• daisyleex published 10/11/2011
    These sound pretty nice, good review! x
  • LadyValkyrie published 13/10/2011
    I'm not keen on these.
  • catsholiday published 03/08/2011
    Not for me as I am allergic to Quorn!