RAC

Cost
Level Of Cover
Customer Service

"Sorry Sir"

We have been members of the RAC for the past two years - the first year we paid direct debit and we made use of the service about 5 times without any problems what so ever....they managed to get the car picked up after an accident even before the police arrived!

So we had moved and unfortunately forgotten our breakdown cover was up for renewal - ahhh the clutch clip went - and on xantias they can not be mended by the RAC or any others for that matter....Ahh what do we do next we wondered as we sat there on the road side...ring the parents get them to pay on their credit card and we are sorted.

Ok payment made all £144 for two of us for the year....ok now we ring RAC back give them our old membership number and hey presto they arrange for us to be picked up - But I have not got my inhaler with me I said worrying...Ok we will put you as a priority Phew I thought...Only I did not realise that it would take over an hour to get to us....

Well they arrived ummed and ahhhed over it and decided to tow us on their little shiny silver tow bar - my partner went in the van with the man to show him the way home - all was well and good except for when we got about five minutes from home - we have speed humps!

Oh dear we hit them @25mph and there was a horrid grating noise - my partner asked the man if we should stop and pump our susupension up (we can do that with our car ;0)

Oh no it is ok said the man - we got home and it was dark - he did not ask us to sign anything which was unusal but it was late so we thought nothing off it as he drove off very quickly - as we turned back to the car after shutting our gates we noticed the front of the car looked damaged! Oh My God - he had damaged the car - we got in and quickly rang the rac sorry ring back in the morning

Ok 9am I ring back and tell them what he has done - Ok we will get someone to pick you up and take you to a garage to get your car fixed and we will look at the damage you claim you have.....ok 1pm still no sign of anyone - 15 minutes later here is the tow truck - off we go...

We get to our garage who quickly ring the RAC to confirm the damage was done by a towing truck - they say ok we will pay for it to be fixed - but what do we do in the meantime? Sorry we will get you a hire car - they did do but WE had to pay the fuel deposit on the car!

All in all we never actually got an apology from the RAC just got the car paid for which cost them over £400 plus 10 days hire....I know we are not going with the RAC again next year we will be looking for a new breakdown cover...not only do they not look after their members their priority service is appalling....!

This review was read 2044 times and was rated at

• Hedgehog published 20/08/2001
    Great op - Well done - Thanks! Bob:)
  • Dalesman published 20/08/2001
    A good informative Opinion, I used to be a member but no more !! I have been with Britannia Rescue for several years..much better, more reliable and cheaper !!...welcome to Ciao..Andrew
  • CareBear published 20/08/2001
    None too good an experience. My experience of them is much the same.... Great first opinion and welcome to Ciao! Claire