R&B Clubland (Parental Advisory) [PA] - Various Artists

R&B Clubland (Parental Advisory) [PA] - Various Artists

3, 2 CD(s) - Contemporary R&B - Label: UMTV, Universal Music TV - Distributor: Universal Music - Released: 24/05/2010 - 600753280317

Review of "R&B Clubland (Parental Advisory) [PA] - Various Artists"

published 26/06/2010 | tracy112
Member since : 09/02/2008
Pro Great value for money; some classic songs, both old and new
Cons Not all songs are within the 'r&b' genre, in my opinion
Originality
Quality and consistency of tracks
Cover / Inlay Design and Content
Lyrics

"R&B Clubland - Various Artists"

I hadn't bought an actual CD in ages before I purchased the R&B Clubland compilation CD. I bought it based on advertising - I liked every song which was played in the advert. I'm often a fan of individual songs rather than following certain artists religiously, so this compilation really was perfect for me since it picked out the best songs by the best artists, within the r&b genre. I hadn't heard of every song listed, but I was willing to listen to the tracks which I didn't already know.

R&B Clubland, by various artists, is a 3-disc compilation. I bought it from Amazon for £11.93. For 60 tracks (20 per disc), I thought this was great value for money. The discs are packaged individually, with each disc in its own plastic case. The three cases are packaged together in a cardboard case. The cover design is sort of gold/orangey in colour.

There is a great mix of tracks on each disc, both older tracks and more contemporary ones. I won't list every single track, but some memorable ones are: No Scrubs - TLC; Try Again - Aaliyah; Scandalous - Mis-teeq; My Humps - Black Eyed Peas; Break Your Heart - Taio Cruz and F.U.R.B - Frankee (which I had totally forgotten about!). That's the beauty of this CD - as well as recent r&b chart hits, it uncovers songs which you may have forgotten about, but which are so memorable once you listen to them again.

I wouldn't say that every track on this CD is 'r&b' but that might just be me being picky. Some of them are definitely more hip-hop, rap and even pop, so I'm not sure the title of the CD is fully appropriate; however, I suppose the slight mix between genres adds some variety. For example, Hot In Herre - Nelly; Low - Flo Rida; It's Like That - Run DMC are far more upbeat but more hip-hop, in my opinion, but I wouldn't get caught up in a minor detail like this. The more upbeat tracks are great for dancing to, for example, if you're getting ready to go out for the night, or if you're having a house party. I suppose this is where the 'Clubland' part of the title comes in.

With a lot of Clubland albums, there tends to be a lot of re-mixes and covers of songs; however, this album keeps it original, with all of the orginal tracks, which is fantastic. Obviously, if you have a lot of these songs already, you may not want to purchase this CD, since there's not much new to it in terms of different versions or covers of songs.

Overall though, I would definitely recommend this. I'm not usually a huge r&b fan, so I think it would appeal to a lot of people, rather than just hardcore r&b fans. This CD might even lead you to discover r&b artists you hadn't heard of before. At any rate, the 60-track compilation is fantastic value for money and holds a wide variety of songs and artists, as I mentioned earlier. Just generally a fun album; the version I have seems to have been edited from swearing, which means that it's not completely off limits to children; however perhaps not suitable for younger children due to the general nature of some of the songs.

• MEL0611 published 26/06/2010
    Great review x
  • kevin121 published 26/06/2010
    Very good review. Rachael.
  • dynamicnurse published 26/06/2010