frasersmu... 4

frasersmum123

About me: The school summer holidays are long!!!

Member since:08.06.2009

Divine, Divine, Divine

29.07.2010

Advantages:
Yummy Taste, easy to prepare

Disadvantages:
High in sugar and fat

26 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. SweetTooth93
  2. TheHairyGodmother
  3. Katieshaz

I love rice pudding, ir reminds me of being a child where we would have it on Sundays as a special treat. However I always find tinned rice pudding really, well, tinny and a little slimy, and Muller Rice are a bit runny for my liking. I have made 'proper' rice pudding but it takes so much effort to do it properly, not great for a quick treat.

So when I spotted Rachel's Organic Divine Rice in my local Tesco's I thought I would give it a go. I have bought products from the Rachels Organic range before (I love the Greek style Honey Yoghurt) so I knew it would be good quality. At £1.29 for 2 150g pots it is quite steep, however as a treat rather than an everyday thing its not too bad.

The pots are housed in a black sleeve with Rachels Organic 'Divine Rice' on the front. The pots are white and have a tin-foil lid, which needs to be removed before microwaving. Stir the pot, pop it in the microwave for 40 seconds, stir again and microwave for another 35 seconds. so a total of 75 seconds and your ready to tuck in! You can eat it cold but thats not really my thing. My dad eats them cold though.

The rice pudding itself is a creamy white colour, and the smell is lovely, really takes me back to childhood. You can see its thicker than other rice pots.

It tastes lovely, creamy and sweet. It has a nice texture - not too lumpy but not watery.

The ingredients are listed as Organic milk, Organic rice, Organic sugar, Organic cream, Pasteurised egg, sea salt.

The nutritional information is listed as(per 100g)
Energy 544kJ (130kcal)
Protein 3.3g
Carbohydrate 18.3g (of which sugars 10.2g)
Fat 4.9g (of which saturates 3.3g)

100g is a little less than one pot, so the fat and sugars in this is quite high. Therefore I wouldnt recommend eating too many of these (although you will want to!)

If you love rice pudding then these are definately a little treat for you - they are better than any of the other rice pots I have tried by miles.

I have given 4 stars, I would love to give 5 but the fat and sugar content is quite high.

Happy eating!

SweetTooth93 22.01.2011 21:55

I'm not keen on rice pudding but Rachel's products are usually fab!

paulpry118 31.07.2010 00:04

Why on earth do they need to add sea salt to it, I don't add any salt to my home made rice pudding

hayleigh_18 30.07.2010 15:28

I'm not keen on Rice Pudding. You like your organic products eh?!