Rakusen's Fat Free Crackers Herb and onion

Rakusen's Fat Free Crackers Herb and onion

Review of "Rakusen's Fat Free Crackers Herb and onion"

published 17/04/2004 | carriethorn
Member since : 21/01/2001
Pro All the flavour intact
Cons Might be too moreish
Smell
Product Quality

"That's a Cracker !!!"

I'm sure you know the feeling of wanting something you know is bad for you. Well my husband loves cheese and biscuits, including crackers and i hated the thought, (being on my diet) of not being able to enjoy them too.

I always allow enough calories to have a little treat so i thought i would have a sliver of cheese and one cracker :(

Off i went to Sainsbury's to buy the cheese, crackers and wine. Sorry if at this stage your mouths are watering too much. Well as I reached for the old faithful ,Jacobs crackers in the snacks dept, a green box caught my eye.

Rakusen's 99% fat free crackers with herb and onion. Never heard of it and it was 89p. I picked up the box to find how many calories each cracker had. Only 18 cals. I double checked because this seemed low as Jacobs are 36 cals per cracker. I put a packet in my trolley thinking anything is better than nothing.

I have to be honest that i was quite dubious about the contents. By the time i got home i had convinced myself that i was about to be eating dried out sandpaper with all the taste of a packet of dried herbs!!

Well i have to say i was more than pleasantly surprised. Inside the box is a well packaged plastic tray stacked with about 25 crackers. Each cracker is about half the depth of what we can call a normal cracker. I snapped one in half and it was quite brittle more like a water biscuit.

I then did the taste test. Yum. Immediately the tangy onion mixed with just the right amount of herbs is an excellent taste bud tantaliser. I began to look forward to my supper. I could allow my self 6 crackers, double the amount if they hadn't been so fat free a sliver of cheese and a glass of red wine.

I decided to really put the crackers to the test. How? Well my husband doesn't like to think i have given him any diet food. He hates diet drinks or those labeled low sugar and he certainly wouldn't be keen if he was presented with low calorie biscuits. I put the plastic tray on the table, without disclosing they were 99% fat free and also i Put out some Jacobs. Then i laid out the cheese. He helped himself and was really enthusiastic about these new crackers i had bought!

After supper i showed him the box and he couldn't believe they were low calorie crackers because they were so tasty. So they must have been good to pass that test i can assure you.

The reason they can be so low in fat states the company is because the only fat present is that which occurs naturally in the wheatflour.

I found they were very appetising and nourishing as i felt quite full. They had the lovely flavour too which enhanced the taste of the cheese. I am going to try them with pate and dips next time. and i don't even need to feel guilty...

Hope you enjoy the review and these crackers for yourself Regards to you all. Carrie x.

• krazykat2005 published 13/04/2006
    I have some sitting before me at this very moment... my mouth is watering at the thought of being able to enjoy pate on crackers without all the guilt of eating full fat versions! Kat x
  • ilusvm published 12/02/2005
    oooh these sound pretty good. Em x
  • Pmshack99 published 28/01/2005
    These sound really great and the calorie content is fantastic! Good review. Paula x