for Men

Review of "Ralph Lauren Polo Blue Eau de Parfum"

published 04/02/2017 | danielclark691
Member since : 27/02/2011
Due to time constraints, I am unlikely to be able to find the time to rate members that have received 3 times as many rates as they have given, apologies.
Pro Staying power, refreshing, appeals to the young.
Cons Not cheap.
Staying power
Design of the bottle

"Ralph Lauren Polo Blue Eau de Parfum"

First impressions

If you are looking to buy a gift for someone then a new fragrance is definitely something to dismiss straight away. I think this is a product that must be bought by the individual, unless they have already used the fragrance and know what they are getting.

What we have here is the Ralph Lauren Polo Blue Eau de Parfum for men. I think that packaging and image is very important to a fragrance manufacturer. The bottle is quite plain in that the glass is a deep blue in colour, with a simple Ralph Lauren logo on it and a silver coloured cap. This simple design is echoed throughout the Ralph Lauren fragrance range.

My experience

Obviously the smell of any fragrance is very important. This should be the only thing that matters, but the packaging can be the deciding factor for some, or a link with a celebrity that wears it etc. If you are better at understanding the view of ‘experts’ in their description of a fragrance I will give you an idea of what some think this fragrance smells like.

Top Notes – Tangerine, Melon de Cavaillon, Cucumber, Watermelon.
Heart Notes – Geranium, Verbena, Clary Sage, Basil.
Base Notes – Patchouli, Amberwood, Washed Suede, Oakmoss, Musk.

I can read these notes and I cannot imagine what this fragrance would smell like, so I would have to say that the best thing to do is to test the product before buying it. My take on it is that Polo Blue is a very fresh fragrance, and the intensity of the fragrance has a positive feel to it. This is a fragrance designed for a younger person in my view, with the fresh and energetic scent hitting your nose as soon as you lift the cap.

Speaking of the cap, this finishes off a rather simple bottle design. The look is basic, but the plain look does include a deep blue glass bottle, and this lets the fragrance do all the talking. The bottle looks a bit like a cheeky hip flask you would take to a football match in winter for a wee dram at half time. The cap is metal, but unfortunately it isn’t real silver, just coloured.

This fragrance is available in 75ml and 125ml sizes. If you are buying it for the first time without even trying it you might want to buy the smaller size, and as a first purchase you would probably buy the smaller size anyway. The larger sizes are always far better value for money, but wearing a new fragrance can be a novelty that soon wears off, especially if it doesn’t live up to your initial expectations. Fortunately I am not disappointed with the durability of this fragrance, and it lasts a long time on my skin. I can put it on in the early evening and it will last the duration of my evening. The scent does obviously fade, but for a number of hours it will be vibrant on your skin.

Price and availability

I think that fragrances can be rather expensive, though a lot is spent on advertising these products, and you are paying for the branding more than anything. A 75ml bottle of Ralph Lauren Polo Blue Eau de Parfum will set you back £55 in a retail setting, with a £72 RRP on the larger 125ml size. Looking online you can buy the smaller bottle for around £45, and the larger bottle for around the £60 mark, so there are savings to be had online.

Final thoughts

I think a purchase like this is all about personal taste, and it is very difficult to buy something like this for someone else, unless they have specifically asked for it because they know they like it. My advice would be to visit a shop such as The Perfume Shop on the high street and try the scent on your skin before making a purchase.

The Ralph Lauren Fragrances range is not one I have a lot of experience with, but this one has surprised me. I think I would definitely be looking at this range in the future, though unless I tried the other scents in a shop I would stick to this fragrance.

• Secre published 17/02/2017
    VH
  • 1st2thebar published 07/02/2017
    'Lauren' seems a reputable brand.
  • 2mennycds published 06/02/2017
    well reviewed

offers "Ralph Lauren Polo Blue Eau de Parfum"